"keepin'-it-real-ologist"
    Name
    Al
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedfish View Post
    I don't see how you could make the co2 literally whisper in with out a regulator. It's like your carnitas regulator. You just want it perfect. Solenoids come with the regulator so why not have it.

This is not difficult. On the regular I only mess with it once a month, I think vibrations sometimes move the knob.

This sure beats mixing a vat of calcium and the rest every so often. Plus the cost now is nothing compared to before with mixing sups.
    Sanhchito kicked me down a CaRX and reg. He didn't have a solenoid or I'm sure he would have given that up too! I'm just trying to see if there's a way to do this without having to buy a probe/controller. I just cashed in all my aluminum cans for my new skimmer fund. So I'm being cheap! Lol.

In all seriousness if it is justifiably better/safer to run a solenoid/probe/controller then I guess I'll just have to wait...

...thoughts?
    I survived the Acid Rain BTA scandal of 2013.

Team Polyclad FTW!

Contributing Member
    Name
    King Tutankhamun
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Dude View Post
    Sanhchito kicked me down a CaRX and reg. He didn't have a solenoid or I'm sure he would have given that up too! I'm just trying to see if there's a way to do this without having to buy a probe/controller. I just cashed in all my aluminum cans for my new skimmer fund. So I'm being cheap! Lol.

In all seriousness if it is justifiably better/safer to run a solenoid/probe/controller then I guess I'll just have to wait...

...thoughts?
    Probes are cheap. And Lurking can sell you a regulator cheap. Probably looking at like 120$. Or you can use my spare but if mine goes out at midnight I expect you here at 1245am with mouth wide open.

Contributing Member
    Name
    King Tutankhamun
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like the reef fanatic but they are pricier than the aquatic life I believe.

Name
    Al
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New reg, controller and probe? Check. Next I need to go down to Air Gas. They're just down the street. Guess what I'm doing this weekend after I get belligerent at TRFS?

Team Polyclad FTW!

Contributing Member
    Name
    King Tutankhamun
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New reg, controller and probe? Check. Next I need to go down to Air Gas. They're just down the street. Guess what I'm doing this weekend after I get belligerent at TRFS?
    Having Juan come over and make man kabobs!

What did I win?

Banned
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...thoughts?
    U cannot run a calcium reactor with out knowing the PH inside the reactor. And unless u plan on smoking ur tank, u need to have a ph controller to turn the solenoid on/off. If u do not have a regulator, ph monitor/controller, and a solenoid then ur not ready to use a reactor.

Try running an MP40 with out the wetside and see how that works. Or an auto top off without a float valve in ur sump.

Name
    LowBaller
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

use a hammer works for me
    Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    He says your pictures suck
    Yep I love big wieners just like Schnitzel

Saltwater fanatic
    Name
    Lindsey
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So I subscribed to this thread since I also need to set up my CaRX. Good info to sure.

Without hijacking the thread...is it possible to run a CaRX manually? As in without a controller or solenoid?

Edit: This thread gets the sticky treatment.
    Ask Mike Smalltime about running a reactor manually. He says he likes it better that way.
    I still think you would have to have a solenoid but not sure. He does it without a controller.

Name
    Al
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Having Juan come over and make man kabobs!

What did I win?
    Yup he's putting on the maid outfit and scrubbing my floors. Lol. He's gonna kill me for telling!
    Quote Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
    U cannot run a calcium reactor with out knowing the PH inside the reactor. And unless u plan on smoking ur tank, u need to have a ph controller to turn the solenoid on/off. If u do not have a regulator, ph monitor/controller, and a solenoid then ur not ready to use a reactor.

Try running an MP40 with out the wetside and see how that works. Or an auto top off without a float valve in ur sump.
    Smart@$$. See below sweet cheeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef Bullet View Post
    Ask Mike Smalltime about running a reactor manually. He says he likes it better that way.
    I still think you would have to have a solenoid but not sure. He does it without a controller.
    Yup. Mike is the one who was telling me about running on manually. His tank is baller so he must be doing something right. It's just a lot of testing manually to get it dialed in.

Team Polyclad FTW!

Name
    Juan
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those of you that run a calcium reactor and use an Apex to control it, can you guys post the code you use on the apex?

Registered Member
    Name
    Greg Carroll
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the day, we did not have ph probe ports on calcium reactors. We just bought them to look pretty sitting in the cabinet. Of course since we couldn't use them without a probe, we saved a lot of money not having to refil the Co2 tank or add media. Now that I know ph controllers are essential to run them, I might have to get me one of those.

FISH SUPPLIER
    Name
    omar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
    Back in the day, we did not have ph probe ports on calcium reactors. We just bought them to look pretty sitting in the cabinet. Of course since we couldn't use them without a probe, we saved a lot of money not having to refil the Co2 tank or add media. Now that I know ph controllers are essential to run them, I might have to get me one of those.
    Lmfao
    LEEMAR 300gal custom recessed eurobraced tank/180gal sump, gyre150,6105 tunze streams,ATI powercone250 skimmer, 4 lumenmax elite reflectors 400w ushio 14k bulbs,vertex carx

Saltwater fanatic
    Name
    Lindsey
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post

I run my ato without a float valve....

There are many ways to run a successful reef tank

Banned
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reef Bullet View Post
    I run my ato without a float valve....

There are many ways to run a successful reef tank
    How could u run an ATO with out a float valve or one of those water sensors? Unless u have it hooked up to a timer. But that's sketchy because ur water doesn't always evaporate the same on a day to day basis.

Yes there are many way to a successful reef tank....however most of them are not the smartest ways. Lol

Hot Dogs are GOOD!

Contributing Member
    Name
    King Tutankhamun
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe she uses a infrared optic sensor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information