I need help with plumbing!

ok so I've been working on my new tank for about two months .
It is a complete DIY, Imade stand , sump, retro lighting , etc...
Now I thought I had the right Idea on doing a external durso for my drains .
I thought it woulb be a good idea to do two 1" drains that went to 1"1/2
and split to go to skimmer sec. and fuge sec. . Now my problem it is ver noisey with a lot of vibration can some one please chime in been trying to get help on my other borad and no response

Pictures of were I am at now

thanks in advance
joe:hello:

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
vibration your only problem? Where is the noise coming from? Are you moving too much water through the sump?

love that first pic of you scratching your head

I would like to see the top of the drain lines and the durso you made to confirm the above suggestion, which is probably correct, but would like to see more. Also, what kind of vibration and where, is it something a pipe clamp will help if the pipes are secured..

bill

well now after I've read a little more on rc i cut that plumbing got two new bulk heads and went back to square one

but now I can't match the flow to return. I also plan on making a calfo style overflow box to cover the drains, will ths effect the drain rate?
This is a pic of an idea I got for searching around .I thought that this valve
would help me contol flow down., I didn't its either to much or to lttle .

so any help or sugestions from here , shoud I use the second drain , or should i build my overflow box first ....please help me :mad:

note; the 90's are up just so stop drain when pump not on

Last edited:

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
love that first pic of you scratching your head
bill
I think hes holding the camera sideways...
haha would be funny though if he was actually scratching his head and trying to figure out his plumbing while taking a picture.

Nifty idea on the valve. Is your return pump to strong? Have your turned it down? Does it help?

ASommers

I think if you had the T at the top instead of the bottom that would help a ton, right now the water is going to fall and hit the T at the bottom causing a lot of noise from hitting a hard flat surface. The Calfo should not affect how much flow it can handle unless it gets clogged.

I think hes holding the camera sideways...
haha would be funny though if he was actually scratching his head and trying to figure out his plumbing while taking a picture.

Nifty idea on the valve. Is your return pump to strong? Have your turned it down? Does it help?

yeah i've played with that it helps but I'm only geting around 235gph
but I dont want to effect profomance of the pump

ok since yesterday I've been playing with alot of pipe combos and I think
I've nailed it . it's been running allday with no problems. One conclusion I've came to is that I drilled the drains a 1/2" to high this effects my water hieght
this I can now ajust by choking the return pump alittle . I diddnt really want to do that but i can live with it, my filtration turn over is stil4-5 times and hour .

So now what I'm giong with is 1" bulk head w/ street ell, to 1"1/4x 1" T and all 1'1/4 down to skimmer sec . The second bulk head is the same until the bottom were I reduce to 1" with a ball valve to control flow to the fuge

If there is anything anyone thinks I should add before I glue it up please chime in. Advise and comments are appreciated

thanks in advance

joe

Joe...let me make a suggestion on your clear return lines...take black electrical tape and wrap them or you may get algae growth in them and then you will have trouble later...hope this helps

Latest posts