Sand Turning Brown Help!!!

tongphan

I have a 120g tank with (2) 250w mh bulbs. On for 8 hours a day. (4) Tunze 6025s. (3) sand sifting stars.

My sand turns brown after 3-4 hours of light.
What could it be?

I make my own RO/DI water.

I would try not having the halides on as long at first (do you have any additional pc lighting?), add some nassarius snails, and possibly cut down on how much you feed. Some goby's are also good sand cleaners...I have a dragon goby. Only issue is they dump sand on your corals at times. Those would be my first steps to help with brown algae growth. Of course I didn't ask the normal questions like how long have you had your system up and running, water params, etc.

St3v3nN

looks like phosphite. feeding too much. could also be a unknown death of a fish or somthing. as h20poloman said gobys are great for keeping your sandbed clean but they tend to put sand on you coral. another good cleaner is a tigertail cucumber.

tongphan

Well, I have 7 fish in my 120, I feed my fish only once a day and they eat one cube of frozen misis shrimp right out of my fingers. No shrimps are left over and still hungry. I checked for phosphate but get a 0 reading in the tank and checked my RO water I make and also get a 0 reading. hmmm:hmmmm:

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I recall it being a young system right? If it is, its pretty much normal. Your tank will get pass it sooner or later

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
np..but doing what everyone else recommend could it back. In my experience with new setup, no matter what I do, I cant avoid the algae phase

I had the same issue when I first set up but in time it does phase itself out. I also have what everyone is reccomending to help. Sand Sea Star, Nassarius snails, Tigertail Cucumber but the real secret weapon is the Diamond Goby. It took me 4 tries to finally get one that will work and not be lazy all day, only down fall is I often have to plug his holes with rocks as sometimes he does like to burrow. I have about a 3-4" sandbed.

:marchmellow:I might go and buy a Diamondback Goby today but I heard they like to jump outta tanks?
Eggcrate is your friend in that situation, I put some on mine because I do intend to get a few known jumpers. Does screw with the light distribution a bit, though.