Chat Box Suggestion

Recently, we've been having too many incidents with rats and snitches. I know for a fact that there are rats and snitches reading our chats. I bet they're reading this thread too and smiling. Just keep smiling and think if what you're doing satisfies you.... if it does, you really need help and go find yourself a life. You're probably a lonely person that wants attention from the Nazis in RC.

My suggestion is to only have the chat available to only those that ARE NOT on invincible mode or private mode. Maybe put a "who's on the chat" section with their usernames displayed.. This way we can see who's in the chat at all times.

Thanks Bye

I second that notion. ....there is somebody narking who it is....we dont know...but understand that I truly think you are a jealous person. I ask for future incidents to mind your own business.

that sounds like a good Idea. i don't feel comfortable talking crap about you when you are in the chat room and i dont know about it.

Hehe jk man

but that would be a nice feature.

Pointing fingers will only lead to problems on this board and not RC.

As far as knowing who's on chat, the archives are always available for any registered member to read until the mods make modifications and deletions.

damm.. more rats and snitches.. whats going on this week.. hmm the coined named of reef central being drama central is so true. whats the coined name for the socali chat. national enquirer..?

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Hey guys, the chat box is a public place and anybody can have access to it. If you don't want other people reading what you are typing then don't type it at all. We have pm for that. Lets keep the chit chat to a family friendly level. Thanks -Mike

3rd rock from the sun, looking to move. Will consi
It's been my position all along that the chat is a PUBLIC area and needs to be treated as such. Basically, if you can't say it in a crowded room, don't say it in chat.

I mean, come on, guys... Whether or not what these people are doing is "petty" or "childish" or WHATEVER, don't get upset when you "blurt" something out and it winds up elsewhere...

As for the "who's in chat" feature, I don't know that that's supported in vBulletin...

i know it's public that's why i never say stuff i want the "public" to know.... i'm just ranting that we have too many tattle tellers in the chat.. it'd still be nice to have a list of who's online to see who's online....

i guess we'll never have it?:hmpf::thumpdown:

I could be wrong, but, again, I don't think it supports the "who's online" in chat... If they disable it in their preferences for the rest of the board, I think that's that.

It's a slice of society, Rega. You're gonna get that kind of thing from time to time... Not a lot to be done about it.

*shrug*

I could be wrong, but, again, I don't think it supports the "who's online" in chat... If they disable it in their preferences for the rest of the board, I think that's that.

It's a slice of society, Rega. You're gonna get that kind of thing from time to time... Not a lot to be done about it.

*shrug*
yup that's the way it is.. they're the same people that observes the accident on the opposite side of the fwy and slowing down the traffic behind them causing accidents on their side.... it's sad

If they guy on the other side hadn't caused the original crash there would have been nothing to look at. So as I see it it's all his fault.

:laugh:

SteveU

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
i know it's public that's why i never say stuff i want the "public" to know.... i'm just ranting that we have too many tattle tellers in the chat.. it'd still be nice to have a list of who's online to see who's online....

i guess we'll never have it?:hmpf::thumpdown:
The chat box program I am using don't support that feature unfortunately. Ill look out for a new one that does.

Don't you have to be logged in to see the chat box? Can't people just check out who's logged in or would the invisible mode trump that?

FYI- the internet is "a public place" as such even your emails are not considered private and can be read by anyone (including law enforcement) without a warrant. If you don't want other to know it's best to say it in person or not at all =)

Also- seeing who's in chat is not going to fix the issue; they'll just make multiple screen names if they really want to snoop!

Last edited:
Yes, you do need to be logged in to see the chat.

As for EMAILS not being private, well, sorry, but I disagree.

Although they might be "sniffed" along the way, the general nature of email is that it is intended and should remain PRIVATE. That doesn't stop someone from forwarding an email that you sent them, however that then becomes an issue of a breach of trust from the person you sent it to.

The US mail, for instance, is the same way. You INTEND for the addressee to be the only one to see it, however that doesn't mean that letter won't go elsewhere somehow. If anything, the US mail is safer as it's a single instance of a message (you could shred/burn/otherwise destroy the document and that would be that). With email, it's electronic and in many cases copies are maintained by the ISP's, at least for a short time.

As for looking without a warrant, I DARE them to look at my emails. I haven't sued anybody in a couple of weeks now and my wallet's getting twitchy.

The PATRIOT act (STUPID **STUPID** NAME!) made it EASIER to do (National Security Letters and such), but it's still not a willy-nilly, "gee, I'm bored today, let's check out Jim Jones' emails" sort of thing...

A bit of paranoia is healthy, but I don't think that in this case it's warranted...

JMO, YMMV.

Last edited: