smelly nog!

bbehring

Ok, so I just installed an Octo NDW200 Recirc Ext. in my closet. This was the only space I had available to install a larger skimmer to get away from an hob. Well this sucker is now putting out nasty nog that so smelly, my closet smells like a rotting forest. Wondering if there are any suggestions to curb the smell. For time being, I put some carbon in 2 old socks and laid them over the holes in the top of the collection cup. I have a drain in the bottom of the cup for a remote container, but I have it closed off for now. Any ideas?

Aquafrags

If it is anything like the smell from my skimmer, Not Good, my wife gags everytime I clean it.:bawling:

It should mellow out once your new skimmer reaches it's balance; in the meantime your carbon trick is the best you can do. You can also try plastic wrapping the lid to clog the holes and running the drain hose into a sealed bucket. Then attach a diy carbon air filter to the lid of the bucket to scrub 100% of the air exiting the unit. You can use pvc and some reefer ingenuity to rig it up

bbehring

Yep, it's balanced out a bit more now. I bought one of the Aqua C Auto waste collectors with the carbon filter off ebay for $50. Works like a charm with the holes taped over on the lid. Smell problem solved.