Diy reef controller

So I've been looking for a new project and decided to try my hand at an arduino controller for my tank. I'm wondering if anyone on here has done it and if so do you have any tips or tricks you would like to share.
I was thinking of getting the arduino due board with a touchscreen and maybe wifi etc.
Ultimately I would like to check and control the basics I.e. temp, ph, salinity (maybe) wavemaker (2 wp25's), etc as well as switchable ac outlets like the dj powerstrip. and be able to monitor and make changes over the net. If it works out I may add a couple dosing pumps and maybe lighting.
I have been searching the web and other forums for the past couple weeks and want to give it a go as I think it'll be fun wether or not I can get to work.

What do you all think?

I had the same idea. One problem. After I proved it all out, and if u factor in the hours of headache, the Apex was not far off. I think I paid around $300-$350 with a PH probe.

The arduino based controller was not that much cheaper, and I had to factor in HOURS to read and completely understand it.

for me it was a no brainer ...NOT WORTH IT!

Yea I thought about that. I personally enjoy the diy stuff. I can't a lot of satisfaction doing things like this myself, so for me I think its worth a shot, besides I'm out of projects to do around here, I need something to work on.

Yea I thought about that. I personally enjoy the diy stuff. I can't a lot of satisfaction doing things like this myself, so for me I think its worth a shot, besides I'm out of projects to do around here, I need something to work on.
I agree and I totally dig DIY. With my DIY LEDs, I save myself hundreds of dollars. It doesn't make sense to DIY, when u can buy something already done with a warranty and zero headache.

Before u buy anything, price out the whole deal. I swear it came out to like $300 with the ph monitor. Maybe even a little more. That's with no warranty and tons of man hours.

DIY controller $300 + lots of hours no warranty
VS
Apex $350 and 5 minutes to call marine depot and order it. With a warranty

I don't knowwwwww

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree with Nick, also with the Apex you will be able to get support if you need it. If your having problems with the diy kit and you cant figure it out your probably going to have a hard time finding someone that can help you. On the other hand with the apex, you can just post on here or any reef forum and im sure someone will be there to help you out. And if no one knows then you call Neptune! hahaha

Also think resale value in the future.

JM2C

I've ran an arduino board + LCD with the Jarduino aquarium controller. It's all fun and games until something doesn't compile or fails to work. Luckily, I had good luck with Jarduino v1.1 and controlling my LEDs. It's not that hard, but it is a lot of research you have to go through to build it. The arduino board and LCD cost me around $50.

I will be buying an apex come February, I'm just looking for a project to tinker with in the mean time. As for time and money spent on it, again its supposed to be a time killer, for fun, like a hobbie. I enjoy killing time, researching and building stuff like this. I'm one of those peeps that have to stay busy. I hate being idle, I need to keep my mind occupied or I go nuts. :banghead:

Through my research there are plenty of resources on the web where help can be obtained including the arduino website and forum so that's not really an issue.
I'm just looking for anyone else's experience both good and bad to give me an idea of what not to do, of course ill probably mes up somewhere anyway, but that goes with the territory.
Thanks for your input so far guys. :D
Lets keep this going.

Last edited:

gr1mm

I will be buying an apex come February, I'm just looking for a project to tinker with in the mean time. As for time and money spent on it, again its supposed to be a time killer, for fun, like a hobbie. I enjoy killing time, researching and building stuff like this. I'm one of those peeps that have to stay busy. I hate being idle, I need to keep my mind occupied or I go nuts. :banghead:.
i know what you mean by keeping the mind busy or you go nuts lol id say go for it, it will be a time killer for sure. haven't tried it myself, other things on my mind right now lol.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I used one to control a small RC car similar to a roomba. It would avoid walls and objects and sounds. It's fun and once you get the hang of it it's easy.

That's real cool. I understand it has all sorts of applications. You could probably set up a couple boards and stuff link em wirelessly and have it get you a beer if you wanted to.
;)

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
I am also looking at building one for fun. Let me know what resources you find other then the normal.

So after looking around some more, I found that reef angel is open source. You can download there eagle files amd have the pcb's made. Put together a bom list and buy all the resistors and stuff and solder your own board up, and use their software.
I'm still tossing around what I'm going to do. I also found another set called reef projects I've been looking at.
Anyone here using reef angel?
If so how do you like it?

Old thread, but I'm commenting anyway...

I did this a few months ago. Being broke, I was able to get the board, LCD, etc. piece by piece and do my research as I was waiting for parts. If you're not afraid of working with electronics, it's not difficult until you start prgramming. My Arduino controller runs my ATO, heater, a couple fans, and my lights on relays and shows my temp through a probe. I have to reset it every few days as it hangs up, but that's a code issue that I haven't figured out. The expense seems to come when you start adding extra probes. I'm less than $100 in, but many, many hours of trouble shooting and coding. I have no experience with reef angel or anything else because after looking at them I realized I would need to go in and modify the code for what i wanted to do anyway. If you still want to do this, I am willing to share my very basic code and more of my experience with this.

i use reef angel. i like it. go over to their forum.roberto is quite friendly and helpful. you might not want an apex after you try it. you get 8 relays. two float switches, ph,tempand two dimming ports out of the box.only bad thing is the wifi costs extra,buthere is an ethernet project i can point u to.