Come Up's

I thought it might be a great idea to have a thread compiled with all the good deals, sales or closeouts on equipment for our reef tanks. Feel free to add your finds onto this thread.

On that note, here's my first submission..................

8 Outlet Power Center................usually the cheapest you find a "quality" power center is around $30................these are a killer deal for under $20 & they are made by Nady, who makes high end audio equipment & microphones. Vendor is in Cypress & although they don't allow local pickup, you will see your purchase in 2 business days.

http://www.pssl.com/Nady-PC80-Rack-Mount-15Amp-8-Outlet-Power-Module

:beer:

I use these power strips for each of my Rental Frag Display tanks and they work awesome:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18970&prodid=37693&catid=3

Each side has its own circuit breaker, so a single mishap does not wipe out everything all at once. Each recepticle has it own splash cover, the V-shape keeps it off the ground, and the cord is a heavy duty 8' ordeal. This is a very well-designed power center for the price

Kevin

I thought it might be a great idea to have a thread compiled with all the good deals, sales or closeouts on equipment for our reef tanks. Feel free to add your finds onto this thread.

On that note, here's my first submission..................

8 Outlet Power Center................usually the cheapest you find a "quality" power center is around $30................these are a killer deal for under $20 & they are made by Nady, who makes high end audio equipment & microphones. Vendor is in Cypress & although they don't allow local pickup, you will see your purchase in 2 business days.

http://www.pssl.com/Nady-PC80-Rack-Mount-15Amp-8-Outlet-Power-Module

:beer:
Nice Steve!

Do they have a surge protector?

Keep in mind that GFCI is the most applicable and important protection device for our hobby. GFCI, Surge Protectors, and Circuit Breakers are all completely different devices, so a little research on what does what is highly reccommended. To put it in a nutshell:

- Circuit Breakers protect wires
- Surge Protectors protect appliances
- GFCI Devices protect people

You will very rarely find true GFCI protection in a power strip or other electrical device due to the sensititve nature of the circuitry. Ideally, your GFCI protection should be at the wall outlet, and anyone who knows how to turn off the power at the main panel and is handy with a screw driver can install one. However, those who loath the thought of handling anything mechanical/electrical and insist on a plug-in device can go this route:

http://www.budgetlighting.com/store...7391&product=Tower&user2=GFCI Cord Sets&xm=on

Last edited:
I dont agree MadMax. GFCI receptacles aren't easy to install. In order to install correctly the black wires must be distinguished between the line and the lead and installed accordingly. I made this mistake while remodeling my bathroom. The GFCI worked but kept tripping the breaker. I had an electrician inform me I installed it wrong when I had to call one out of the yellow pages lol.

great thread. That's a nice power strip, I might need to order one.

if you're not already aware, salinity refractometers can be purchased on eBay for a very reasonable price. The RHS-10ATC refractometer is listed by many eBay vendors. I purchased mine for $20 from eBay user NIS_sales (national industrial supply) shipped from Torrence CA. Arrived in 2 days and works perfectly. :top:

I double that recommendation for National Industrial Supply.
Charlie Downs is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his products.

His web site is: www.nisupply.com
e-mail: chardowner@yahoo.com
He's local here in San Pedro

Reefer08:
Yea, the line and load are very important but are outlined pretty deliberately in the instructions. You can think of the line as "in" and the load as "out" when wiring GFCI's. So, remember that each subsequent outlet in that same electrical run will be protected by the one GFCI, not just that particular plug that houses the GFCI. But alternatively, every recepticle "before" the GFCI will NOT be protected. Think of it as a one-way stream

Yea, the line and load are very important but are outlined pretty deliberately in the instructions. You can think of the line as "in" and the load as "out" when wiring GFCI's. So, remember that each subsequent outlet in that same electrical run will be protected by the one GFCI, not just that particular plug that houses the GFCI. But alternatively, every recepticle "before" the GFCI will NOT be protected. Think of it as a one-way stream
Not true..........A GFCI wan be wired to protect either that individual plug or every plug "down the line" from that plug. If you wire it w/o taking off the yellow warning type, you will only protect that plug. If you remove the yellow warning tape & wire the load wires to those screws, every plug down line from that will be protected.

Walmart sells a pack of 8 ethyl cyanoacrylic super glue for 99 cents, it was near the automotive section at my walmart.

If walmart ran out then goto your local 99 cent store, you can find a 3 pack of super glue gel for 99 cents. Also can find flake food for fish, thermometers, tuperware for selling frags, fragging pliers, etc...

Walmart sells a pack of 8 ethyl cyanoacrylic super glue for 99 cents, it was near the automotive section at my walmart.

If walmart ran out then goto your local 99 cent store, you can find a 3 pack of super glue gel for 99 cents. Also can find flake food for fish, thermometers, tuperware for selling frags, fragging pliers, etc...
Better yet! Go to your local swap meet. Ussually the guys that sell cheap tools sell super glue 10 packs for a buck.

Put your thin super glue in the freezer. It will thicken it but it wont freeze solid.

Latest posts