Need some sump help, Puhleeze!

I have a four compartment Eurofil Sump. The last owner used box # 1 for a sock. There is a small space at the bottom of the divider into box # 2. The divider wall between 2/3 is high. The divider wall between 3/4 has a small space at the bottom.

The sump will filter a 75 gal reef tank with fish. I have an ASM G-1 skimmer with motor. I have a new Rio HF 20 return pump.

One friend recommended no sock, just LS and LR in 1, LR & Chaeto with a PC light in 2, skimmer in 3 and return pump in 4.

What should I do? :(

you can kind of do whatever you want. i am not sure there is a 'wrong way'

i like socks, but only part time, maybe before guests come over,or before pictures...

If i use socks, i change them out every three days...

I would put rockrubble on the bottom of #1, below wher ethe socks would go...

iwould put sand andmore rocks into #2 with the cheatos and light...

good luck, and post a picture to clarify the compartments, that will help...

gl

bill

ASommers

I like using socks there good when you clean the tank and when you feed to catch some of that junk. I agree there is no real wrong way, I would suggest the skimmer before the fuge to keep from sucking up pods.

i think a sock will help filter out 'larger particulate matter' that although maybe caught up in the skimmer bubbles, and carried up opposited gravity, a sock or other 'mechanical' filter would be the best way to achieve this goal.

As long as the particulate is not left in the sock/water stream after it is caught...

I think a sock will also help in reducing bubbles if any should make it past the baffles...

the big problem with socks that i see is that folks leave them in too long, letting the organics to deteriorate back into the water system...(not changing them out often enough)

IF you have a bunch of socks, and change the out every two or three days, that would be great...

If you are like me, and maybe others, and forget then maybe socks arent a good idea...

But, mywater quality/clarity, is fantastic if i plac socks on a day before pictures or guest...

I would even turn off my closed loop several hours before taking pictures to let the particulate drop/.settle down

again, there is no 'right or wrong way' just up to you and how you will maintain it