woodworking

so i've come to the conclusion that i want to build a stand that is not only going to last but look like furniture as well. so i'm calling out to all you super woodworkers for advice.
1st question: what kind of wood to use? i built my last stand out of oak covered ply wood - super sturdy stuff. any suggestions are appreciated as to what would you have used, ie solid pine, oak board etc.
2nd question: nails or screws?
3rd question: veneer, any one use it and if so where could you get locally, and what kind of tools required to shape and apply it?
4th question: what kind of stain and finish?

TIA

Its depends on the size of the tank your stand will carry. Usually its 2x4 that most people will use. Any 2x4, I think its 1.75 per 8 foot 2x4 at home depot. You would want to use screws. Plywood to cover the top and the sides. Plywood will be your most expensive part to buy just to let you know in advance.

I don't understand why you would want veneer. lol

The type of stain depends upon the color you want your wood to be, any wood stain will work. Just make sure you apply several coats of clear coat after its finished.

Any other questions? You can find a template on reef central for the skeleton of the stand, then its up to you to add the plywood and moldings.

I made this stand earlier this year for my old boss. I used 2X4's for the frame and waynes coating to close it up. I then added some trim molding and some doors my Dad had left over from a kitchen remodel. You can get the doors finished like this at Home Depot. Let me know if I can help. Follow the link below for more pictures. :top:

P.S. This is a 95 gallon tank.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind....viewPicture&friendID=7408497&albumId=1770987

Attachments

Last edited:
very nice stand bluefish! i especially like the trim moldings, got my wheels turning for sure. I not sure if i'm gonna make a frame so beefy as the stand is for a 34 gal AIO.

i appreciate the help bud, and honored at the same time for your posting your first post on my thread!

thanks again

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my stand im almost finished with it. Its for a 68g tank 36x24x18. The tank will sit 1/2 inch inside the stand flush.

awesome build. maybe you can do what true blue did and post pics of different stages of the build.

Latest posts