which mh's to get...

alright, so i am currently weighing my options between t5's and MH's. if i go t5's i'm getting these:
http://www.aquactinics.com/pages/72-Constellation.html
if i go MH's i plan on getting icecap ballasts and these reflectors:
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1472
i am not that familiar with MH's so any help picking better reflectors and what not would be greatly appreciated. what i don't want is to spend this much money and not be happy with the results. i want excellent quality, and great lighting.
thanks
jon

Last edited:
Well you know I'm a T5 person it is highly beneficial specially for a new tank,
pros;
less heat
variable light wave lenght
low maintenance
low electrical consumption
great for coral husbandry
better light penetration

just my opinion what's yours

not looking for mh/t5 opinions on which to use. i know the facts of each and it is a personal preference for look that i will base my decision on.
really just looking for equipment information, which mh brand is the "best" or close too it, without breaking the bank.

for metal halides i like these.....
for reflectors- luminarcs or lumenmax elites
for ballasts- galaxy
and bulbs- radiums or giesemann megachrome

I would say electronic Ice cap may be 250 with a good reflector is it gonna be an open top or with canopy?

with canopy retro type will be cheaper.

What's the footprint of the tank you are trying to cover? That will determine which reflectors/pendants. As for ballasts, I personally would go for SLS Galaxy. I've use IC and it's not as bright.

it's a 6x2x2 180g. i'm thinking 3 of those reflectors with 250w icecap ballasts.
it has a canopy, but it is open top and back and fans will blow from the rear and vent through the top.

Aquafrags

Galaxy ballast are great.

Lumenarc are good reflectors with a wider spread

Lumenbright are a little brighter, but with a narrow light spread.

SE - Radium
DE - Phoenix

I would go with a 250 watt, you can find these used and very reasonable.

My choice would be to go with Galaxy ballasts unless you already have the IceCaps. The Galaxy will overdrive the bulbs a bit so you actually get more light without sacrificing bulb life.

As for the reflector, I just switched out my SLS LumenMax 3's for 2 LumenBright Minis and a LumenMax Elite. From what I hear, both have tested well. As AquaFrags said, the LumenBrights have a narrower light spread but it's intense as heck even on the sandbed. The Lumenmax Elite has a better spread. I had to hang the LumenBrights about 4" higher to get a better spread. Both will provide ample light for a 2' x 2' area. You'll be able to keep almost any coral. And with a little bit of creative aquascaping, you can create some semi-shaded areas for the lower light corals.

For the bulb, I like the Radium 20K. Nothing comes close in terms of brightness and color. I am testing out an AquaMaxx bulb right not and it's just as bright but a bit on the white side for me. You won't need actinic supplement with the Radiums. I don't know if you remember the lighting in my tank when you came by, but with the Radiums in the new reflectors, there isn't even a comparison.

Eventually, I'll have all 3 reflectors to be the same. But right now, I am having a hard time deciding between the LumenBright Minis and the LumenMax Elite.

Last edited:
great info, thanks.
the reason i am looking at the lumenarcs is because i don't like a spotlight look. i want even light across the tank which is why i've always gone t5 before.
i will have t5 supplements, 4x24w on each lumenarc. that's my thought anyway, i already have the t5's to do this.

How about the ATI Powermodule?? Im liking T5's more and more each day, they bring out the reds really well vs MH which washes out the color.

But if you do go metal halide I vote for Lumenbright 250's Radium x 3 on galaxys or lumatek.

This tank is all T5 by ATI

reef_doug

for metal halides i like these.....
for reflectors- luminarcs or lumenmax elites
for ballasts- galaxy
and bulbs- radiums or giesemann megachrome
I think the above is a good recommendation. The Radium SE bulb is a favorite of many. No need for any supplementation.

I only wish I did the above... I currently have IceCap 250w HQI and should have gone galaxy and SE!

i ended up going with a used set up lumenarc's with icecap 175w ballasts. wasn't sure i was really wanting mh, so went with cheap used one to try it out for a bit. i'm using hamilton 20k bulbs, and i am loving the colors i'm getting.

Latest posts