DIY Kalk Reactor

RussM

With work at a seasonal low, I've had some time to putter in the garage.... I have two projects in the works, and here is the first: a magnetically-stirred kalk reactor.

I have no dry space available inside my stand, so the reactor has to fit in or above the sumps. I have 3 interconnected sumps. Since the reactor may sit in water, the mag-drive prime mover has to be on top of the reactor, unlike the traditional mag stir reactors where the motor is beneath the unit.

The reactor chamber is 6"x11.5". RO/DI water is pushed into the reactor by an Aqualifter, drawn from my ATO reservoir. Supersaturated kalkwasser is displaced by the pure water feed and will flow into the opposite end of the sump from where the AquaController probes are. Dosing will be controller by the AC3 with time of day, dosing amount/time, and pH factored into the AC3 programming. Periodic stirring will be controlled by a standard lamp timer, perhaps 5 minutes 2x daily.

The stirring action is provided by a 5-RPM motor magnetically coupled to the stirrer shaft & impeller; a total of (16) N43 neodymium magnets were used (8 each for the driver and driven parts.)

With the exception of a few stainless steel screws and the John Guest fittings, all components were obtained from Murphy's Surplus, Industrial Liquidators, California Electronics, the scrap bins at Ridout, or parts I already had on hand. Total $$$ investment was quite low! The acrylic cylinder was only $5. Time investment, on the other hand, was significant... I really took my time. I mainly have woodworking tools... table saw, compound miter saw, band saw, drill press, router, etc, all of which were used. I used the drill press on its highest speed as a light-duty vertical mill to make things like the o-ring groove in the bottom flange, cutting smaller circles, etc. (professional machinists, try not to cringe too much!)

The parts ready for assembly after cleaning and final polishing...

The bottom really didn't need to be removable, but I wanted to make the flanges just for the experience.

The mag-drive...

The motor mount...

The assembled mag-drive unit...

After thorough leak and functional testing, final assembly, a vinegar bath, and initial loading with Mrs. Wages & RO/DI...

The gizmo in the lower right of the pic above is a weighted intake; it's weighted to ensure that the RO/DI water intake line stays at the bottom of the ATO reservoir.

The reactor in operation... you can see the little hump of kalk being pushed by the stirring impeller.

I plan to re-do to power cord for the motor before I put the unit into service.

Last edited:
:adore: That is frikin' sweet Russ. Awesome job, especially with wood tools. :top:

I'll definitely be interested in your performance report once it's in use for a while. I think we may need to talk in the future about some DIY ideas I've had brewing :hmmmm:

How much did all that cost?? I am thinking about making one, using your idea. That is just ingenious. Great job!:congrats:

RussM

Thanks everyone... I was surprised to see this old thread dredged up from the murky depths ;)

Total investment in was around $45, including the AquaLifter. The use of surplus materials and a few lucky finds really kept the cost down... only the JG fittings and the stainless steel screws were purchased at retail prices.

The investment is time was significant though, although I admittedly over-engineered it, mainly to challenge and further develop my skills. For example, there was absolutely no need for the bottom to be flanged and removable. It was a fun project. I've since sold it... it was just took up too much room in my cramped stand. Eventually, I plan to make one similar, but with a smaller footprint.

Links to a couple of my other crazy excursions into acrylicworks:

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49753

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1536636

Dude, you are like the reef Albert Einstein. If this is not what you do for a living, then my gosh, you got some mad skillz. I was think about get a hydor protein skimmer(http://www.hydor.it/en/products/show/29#tabelle), but if you can make one for less that would be great. LMK how much??? You are crazy good.

Thanks everyone... I was surprised to see this old thread dredged up from the murky depths ;)

Total investment in was around $45, including the AquaLifter. The use of surplus materials and a few lucky finds really kept the cost down... only the JG fittings and the stainless steel screws were purchased at retail prices.

The investment is time was significant though, although I admittedly over-engineered it, mainly to challenge and further develop my skills. For example, there was absolutely no need for the bottom to be flanged and removable. It was a fun project. I've since sold it... it was just took up too much room in my cramped stand. Eventually, I plan to make one similar, but with a smaller footprint.

Links to a couple of my other crazy excursions into acrylicworks:

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49753

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1536636

RussM

Dude, you are like the reef Albert Einstein. If this is not what you do for a living, then my gosh, you got some mad skillz. I was think about get a hydor protein skimmer(http://www.hydor.it/en/products/show/29#tabelle), but if you can make one for less that would be great. LMK how much??? You are crazy good.
Thanks. I'm an IT consultant. DIY stuff (of many types) is just a passion. I mainly do this type of stuff for my own use, and currently only do small custom works for friends.

BTW, do yourself a favor, and shop around before buying the Performer... reviews are not all that good, and you can do much better for the price.

I see why you are so detail oriented. I have a 40 gallon tank and don't have alot of sump space. I current have an old cpr protein skimmer. I don't want a hangover skimmer. What skimmer to you suggest for me that will not break the bank???

Thanks. I'm an IT consultant. DIY stuff (of many types) is just a passion. I mainly do this type of stuff for my own use, and currently only do small custom works for friends.

BTW, do yourself a favor, and shop around before buying the Performer... reviews are not all that good, and you can do much better for the price.

RussM

do u have a list of what tools u used to build this one? and the cost? thanks
Table saw w/ fine tooth blade specifically for plastics, router & router table, drill press, band saw, etc... everything I use are common shop tools for originally acquired for woodworking. The only special tools for acrylic work I have are the table saw blade and a $35 carbide spiral down-cut router bit which was ground just for acrylic.

Latest posts