BK 300ext or Reeflo Orca Dart?

What would you get in terms of performance?

• BK 300 ext

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Reeflo Dart skimmer

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Xycron

You don't need 1/4 and 1/2 inch thickness to hold 100lbs, my 45g tank uses 1/4 inch, and my 60gal also uses 1/4inch. my old 25g used 1/8th.

No explosions or bowing, just scratches :[ i can never be happy when i get a glass or acrylic tank. if i go acrylic i always drop a rock and get a scratch the day i get it. if I get a glass, then it leaks later on. Maybe im just unlucky :(

Nick A

Well one of the reasons that BKs are so expensive is that supposedly Klaus(creator of BK skimmers) invested $1 million in order to create the factory used to make the skimmers. I wouldn't really trust myself that much to build my own skimmer unless I had some previous experience with working with acrylic. Plus, due to the way I'll be plumbing it...if there were to be a leak in the skimmer I would be finding 40+ gallons of SW all over my floor. All that water will really do some damage to my stand, not to mention my house. I would rather pay a premium for something I know won't have a problem no matter what happens, especially with a large tank.

just because your tank is 1/4in doesnt mean it isnt needed for a skimmer.

Skimmers can be taller than your tank first of all. Thickness of acrylic depends on the height of your tank, and also for a skimmer.

Also, thickness matters for the joints when you join the acrylic together. Obviously 1/2 inch has more surface area than 1/4, so it bonds better , and thus better made.

You dont think its important? Have you EVER had an external skimmer? Have you worked around your skimmer and knocked into it? It makes a lot of difference. Do you run ozone? Do you realize ozone will disintegrate cheaper acrylic.

Again, Steve and I have PRICED out the cost of making these skimmers HERE in the USA. The only way you can make GOOD money, is to build 1000s of these skimmers at a time. But it would take forever to sell. Custom built means you are making one at a time, and you pay the price.