Schnitzel's Shallow Leemar 250

Threw together this Co2 scrubber from an old cheap media reactor I had. PH went up .1 in 30 minutes. It's def burning through the media fast. I don't see this media lasting longer than 1-2 days.

I'm looking to buy a larger reactor that can hold more medi, and I will be adding a solenoid to the inlet that will open and close depending on the ph in the tank. Hopefully I can get it to last longer this way.

This combined with my new kessil h350 should really help keep my ph more stable. . We'll see if there's any positive effects on coral growth.

Have you tried to run a line from outside to your skimmer? It's much cheaper this way
I had the same problem and this helped hips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Have you tried dropping the pH in the reactor to 6.7? I know that won't help you overall pH of the tank but it might help meet the Alk and Ca demand.
When was the last time you calibrated your tank pH probe?

Have you tried dropping the pH in the reactor to 6.7? I know that won't help you overall pH of the tank but it might help meet the Alk and Ca demand.
When was the last time you calibrated your tank pH probe?
It's at 6.8 right now, and yes I just bought a new lab grade probe for the tank. I calibrate both probes every few months.
I actually just opened up my effluent even more. Trying to keep alk at 7.5-8, instead of low 7s.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
It's at 6.8 right now, and yes I just bought a new lab grade probe for the tank. I calibrate both probes every few months.
I actually just opened up my effluent even more. Trying to keep alk at 7.5-8, instead of low 7s.
If you drop your pH in your reactor to 6.7 by injecting more CO2, it should melt more media to keep up with alk demands. I would leave your PSI where it's at because 20psi seems to be on the upper end and since you like your effluent open, leave that and just increase your bubbles per second on your regulator.

Last edited:
If you drop your pH in your reactor to 6.7 by injecting more CO2, it should melt more media to keep up with alk demands. I would leave your PSI where it's at because 20psi seems to be on the upper end and since you like your effluent open, leave that and just increase your bubbles per second on your regulator.
Yep, you are correct, that is how it works. You can raise alk and calcium by either increasing effluent and/or lowering the Ph.
I've tinkered with my reactor quite a bit, and this is what works best for my tank.

swnoob

Nice sticks! Very brave of you to make changes with a tank looking like that.

It may seem like common sense but make sure your effluent is draining right above your return pump. I made the mistake of having it drip close to the display ph probe giving me a false reading. Saw a difference of .3 when i moved it closer to the return.

Nice sticks! Very brave of you to make changes with a tank looking like that.

It may seem like common sense but make sure your effluent is draining right above your return pump. I made the mistake of having it drip close to the display ph probe giving me a false reading. Saw a difference of .3 when i moved it closer to the return.
I actually have my effluent going to the opposite side of my sump. In hopes that it will burn up some co2 from the skimmer and chaeto.

Nice pictures! That gold torch colony is insane.. couldn't stop staring at it while I was over there lol
Yea I get a lot of compliments on that old girl. She's been with me for 4 years. Started off as 2 heads, now at least 8. Beautiful LPS for sure. Only LPS I'll keep in my tank. (Besides my bubble coral that I only have because nobody ever wants to buy it. Lol)

Fishnugget

Threw together this Co2 scrubber from an old cheap media reactor I had. PH went up .1 in 30 minutes. It's def burning through the media fast. I don't see this media lasting longer than 1-2 days.

I'm looking to buy a larger reactor that can hold more medi, and I will be adding a solenoid to the inlet that will open and close depending on the ph in the tank. Hopefully I can get it to last longer this way.

This combined with my new kessil h350 should really help keep my ph more stable. . We'll see if there's any positive effects on coral growth.
Interested in seeing your results. I think it was bulkreefsupply that released a video about pH and coral growth. Have you tried Kalk dripping? I thought about it too, but then its more equipment to add/monitor. I don't even know my tanks pH. I need to get a controller.

Interested in seeing your results. I think it was bulkreefsupply that released a video about pH and coral growth. Have you tried Kalk dripping? I thought about it too, but then its more equipment to add/monitor. I don't even know my tanks pH. I need to get a controller.
I don't wanna mess with Kalk. This product is dry, and easy to deal with. Worse case scenario if it runs out, my tanks PH drops a little.

Big news for the schnitzel family....just made a big purchase. I am the proud owner of my very own wienerschnitzel. Still work for my mom helping her with her stores, but this one is all mine.

Working 15 hours a day and 16 days strait with no days off has been a little rough, but my tank is doing great.
Reefbrites only

Latest posts