Schnitzel's Shallow Leemar 250

swnoob

Wellllllll that's the the thing. Am I having problems with low ph?...My corals don't seem to mind. BUT, what if they grew faster with higher ph?? That's what I'm chasing.

My ph swings from 7.5-7.8. It's because my calcium reactor effluent is so fast. Even with my second chamber, it can only absorb so much co2 at the rate I have it.

I ordered soda lime and im gunna make a co2 scrubber and see if I notice a difference. My goal is to connect a solenoid to the scrubber and only use it when my PH drops below 7.8.

I run my current fuge light 24/7. I'm considering leaving my current light in place, and only run the kessil at night. That's when my ph drops the lowest. That way I'm not having to run a 90w led all day. My current light is only 13w. If it makes a big enough difference in PH, then I'll leave the kessil all day and ditch my old light.
I was thinking the same when i was running at a similar ph. We always want more growth no matter how fast our acros grow. Almost nuked my tank by adding kalk to my ato container trying to raise the ph.

Running the air intake line to my skimmer to the outside helped a bit but not much so i figured a co2 scrubber would not be cost effective plus add more maintenance defeating the purpose of using a calcium reactor (set and forget for several months) as opposed to 2 part.

I will ignore my ph if you had those awesome results with a ph 7.5-7.8.

Will follow along

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Since you run your effluent from your CaRx more open than a traditional drip, I wonder if that's your reason for low Ph? Since more water is passing through your reactor, you have to inject more CO2 to get the Ph down in the reactor therefore more CO2 getting into your system.

Since you run your effluent from your CaRx more open than a traditional drip, I wonder if that's your reason for low Ph? Since more water is passing through your reactor, you have to inject more CO2 to get the Ph down in the reactor therefore more CO2 getting into your system.
i cant run my effluent any lower, it wont keep up with my alk demands. and yes i believe that to be the reason why my PH is so low.

swnoob

May i ask at what ph do you run your reactor?

Have you tried running it slightly lower to get a more concentrated effluent without melting the media in the reactor thus using less co2?

I tried that for a while and it worked but my reactor constantly clogged.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
maybe make a pvc chamber or modify a gfo reactor with some form of media in it and let the effluent drip into it and slosh around to release residual Co2 and raise the effluent ph. How big is your Cal Rx?

maybe make a pvc chamber or modify a gfo reactor with some form of media in it and let the effluent drip into it and slosh around to release residual Co2 and raise the effluent ph. How big is your Cal Rx?
I already have a second chamber, but I may try a 3rd chamber like you are describing. When I first started running a calcium reactor I had one just like your describing. I made it from a dip and pour.
Reactor is a beast. 6"x24"

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
It would be interesting to test if you lowered your ph in the reactor and lowered you effluent drip. Any chance you could take a video of your effluent?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ph inside the reactor is 7.8. I've never checked the exact rate of effluent.
You must be below a PH of 7.0 if you want calcium to melt/mix with the affluent. PH 7.0 is neutral. I run one of mine at 6.8/9 and the other at 6.7. My PH in one tank is 8.4 day in day out and the other one at 8.3. I have both skimmers pulling in outside air with a refugeum full of various types of chaeto.

You must be below a PH of 7.0 if you want calcium to melt/mix with the affluent. PH 7.0 is neutral. I run one of mine at 6.8/9 and the other at 6.7. My PH in one tank is 8.4 day in day out and the other one at 8.3. I have both skimmers pulling in outside air with a refugeum full of various types of chaeto.
That was a typo Lol. PH is 6.8

swnoob

It would be interesting to test if you lowered your ph in the reactor and lowered you effluent drip. Any chance you could take a video of your effluent?

I was thinking the same. Like i mentioned above melting more media increases the chances of clogging up your reactor. The bad part is you'd never know it was clogged unless you see it or test your alk. A clogged reactor and away for the weekend can cause a disaster in short time.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I was thinking the same. Like i mentioned above melting more media increases the chances of clogging up your reactor. The bad part is you'd never know it was clogged unless you see it or test your alk. A clogged reactor and away for the weekend can cause a disaster in short time.
I think you'd be able to tell it's clogged if you look how many times your solenoid turns on/off

swnoob

I think you'd be able to tell it's clogged if you look how many times your solenoid turns on/off

You are correct but its not going to set off an alarm of low or high ph. Having to check to make sure your solenoid is acting normal is just as bad as having to visually see if the effluent is flowing.

I'm OCD with my tank and i check my apexfusion several times a day but there are those days i don't bother looking unless i get an alert.

If you do lower your reactor ph i would make it a habit of checking effluent flow every time you feed your tank.

Maybe we'll get lucky and have Neptune release a reliable alk monitor in the near future.

I used to run my reactor with lower effluent and lower ph, but it wouldn't keep up with my alk demands. Even right now I think I am not keeping up, last time I checked my alk was 7. I usually try to keep it 7.5-8 if I can. This weekend I was going to test and adjust my co2 to lower the ph even more.

I used to run my reactor at 6.5 and lower flow, but it wouldn't keep up with my alk demands. My reactor never got clogged. Not sure how melting media would clog the reactor. Unless your effluent is running very slow.

If your reactor is cloged wouldn't that prevent any flow of affluent? You can easily see if you have affluent flow,as in the video. Do you know that PH of the affluent as it enters your aquarium? That would help answer why you are having problem raising your PH.
I used to run my reactor at 6.5 and lower flow, but it wouldn't keep up with my alk demands. My reactor never got clogged. Not sure how melting media would clog the reactor. Unless your effluent is running very slow.