Trachyphyllias Deflated

mkfmedic

So I bought a Trachyphllia when I started my tank several months ago. It was always "Fully" inflated, even when I had to Fallow my tank after a Marine Velvet outbreak.

Over the past few weeks, the Trachyphllia seems to have drawn down tightly, which by the way makes the coloration intense, way more than when it inflated, but why is it doing this? My lighting remains two radion g2's, and I haven't changed the intensity. My water parameters remain the same and stable.

C96A9798.jpg C96A9849-109.jpg

I'd guess that when it was fully inflated it was at least three times the size as what is shown in this picture!

My one thought is the Goldflake Angel which was added to my tank. I know they are Reef Safe with Caution and although I don't see him nipping at my corals it does appear to peck food off of the poor guy, and maybe he is nipping at it. I don't see any damage to the flesh part, adn I can't see any of the skeleton, but it draws down pretty tightly. My first guess is the Goldflake, but I'm not sure.

Could there be something else going on that I'm not thinking about? Any thoughts or education would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Looks like mine did when it started to recede.. Are you sure you haven't has any alk swings? That was my problem. Have you tried dipping in revive, (or coral rx.. To make sure no pest is bothering it?) does it still show a feeding response? If it does I would put it in a bowl w a food slurry and iso feed it everyday and see what happens..

mkfmedic

Hey Jami,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it appears to still have a feeding response and I have yet to locate any pests. I'll try to do the food slurry idea and see if it will help! It's water change day today so I will check all my parameters and see if I have had any major changes in my Alk. I document all of my water parameters and details on a google excel sheet, I know, I'm a big geek, so I will be able to see if I have had a swing.

The food slurry idea is a good idea too. I'll try that when I do the water change today!

Thanks so much for your thoughts,

Mike

mkfmedic

Jami. Thanks. Parameters are fine and my alk remains 10.4 with virtually no change over the last several weeks. In the morning it appears to be more inflated, but still not anywhere close to previous. I didn't find any pests, but my goldflake does seem to pester it. I can't tell if he's looking for scrapes on it or nipping at the flesh. Although I have not seen any damage. I will look into doing a dip to see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think its the goldflake. I had a regal that would pick at my wellso and wound up killing the coral slowly over time from tissue damage.