Advice for a new setup

Hi all,

I have just set up a 95 gal reef tank, with 40 lbs of live sand, 45 lbs of Vaunuatu Rock and 80 lbs of tonga branch rock, and man what a mess.
I ordered the rock locally, uncured, so I expect it to be a while before it gets better. It is beautiful, but some of the pieces were so large it was hard to clean them. Any advice on how to help the cycling process? I have 2 good sized power heads funning, as well as the sump pump, protein skimmer, and UV sterilizer. I will be using Hamilton 400w (14k) x 2, and 2 x 96w PC bulbs.

Attachments

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
its been awhile since I went through the whole cycling portion of a tank but I remember letting the tank sit and skimmer running for at least a month. I believe you do a nice water change after all the ammonia and nitrite is gone. A cleanup crew will clean up your rocks nicely after the cycle. Right now, just sit back and plan what you want to put in the tank

R

reefer714

Patient is the key to success bro. I used to work at LFS and customer buy bag and bag of live spiral to add into there new aquarium to speed up the process. I said it is a waste of money. Just take your time and let your tank cycle on it own.

R

reefer714

Hey, congrats on your new hobby (collecting Tunze product :D). Let me know if you still have the wavebox. I may take it off your hand for my fuge :D

R

reefer714

We pay for what we get :D. I love high end stuff cuz the performance always better.

One thing I learned, dont follow Steve's advice :D

The bacteria actually DOES work, but probably more for a fish only system than for a reef system. Reef systems are way more complex.

As for live rock, just make sure your skimmer can handle the workload, keep your lights off, wait a month, do a big water change, and you are ready to roll. But go slow. Add bioload slowly.

One thing Steve actually said that makes sense, patience is key. ;) Ok, I also agree with buying high end stuff, you do get what you pay for in this hobby.

R

reefer714

Gal, look like i need to bring my boxing gloves with me to your house this weekend. :D:D. Keep on bashing me fool, you'll see what im talking about on Sunday.

LOL, boxing gloves? You can have them, I have a nice baseball bat for you :D

I am not bashing you, just messin...people should know you are the Yoda of SPS ;) The force is strong with that guy.

R

reefer714

May be i should pick a few pieces of SPS from your tank. May be i can help keep them alive during your vacation.

You are assuming I will have SPS alive lol.

Seriously, I would give you some, but because I have ich in the system, I doubt you want to introduce that crap into your system. If you do, I will let you take some stuff with you.

G

R

reefer714

Ich won't survive after the dip. I will take some home, later when it colored up and you want it back i will sell it to you for a good deal :D:D

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
hey Gal Ill cure those rare wrasses for you...but you know im not breaking down my tank to catch them:)

You are assuming I have any wrasses left over. Truth is, this thing whatever it was, pretty much destroyed everything I had in stock. Really saddening.

No dip kills Ich my friend, you should read up a little more about it ;) People leave their tank in hyposalinity for 30 days before it goes away. Freshwater dips dont work on ich either, as the parasite digs in through the skin, so its head is inside the body of the fish. Again, this is all from experts who I have read this from.

This whole thing really is killing me, I am pretty much going to have to start from ground zero when I come back from my vacation. Unreal.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
You are assuming I have any wrasses left over. Truth is, this thing whatever it was, pretty much destroyed everything I had in stock. Really saddening.

No dip kills Ich my friend, you should read up a little more about it ;) People leave their tank in hyposalinity for 30 days before it goes away. Freshwater dips dont work on ich either, as the parasite digs in through the skin, so its head is inside the body of the fish. Again, this is all from experts who I have read this from.

This whole thing really is killing me, I am pretty much going to have to start from ground zero when I come back from my vacation. Unreal.
Yea I was assuming you still had them. So sorry about the lost. Ill support you once you get up and running again. Still want a couple of nice rare wrasses

R

reefer714

He still have a few lineatus, pink margin, plylei and mystery but he is not selling cuz he wasn't sure it is going to make. Great guy.... :D:D IMO. Dude, whenever you get back from vacation, i will help you get it back up and running. My way this time fool

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
I pmed him about a super male lineatus and rhomboid..hopefully his suppliers have them in stock

R

reefer714

Discuss about it with him this morning. he is going to have it drop ship to you from Hawaii. Every fish i bought from hawaii eat couple hrs after adding into the tank