I f'd up today!

So I went out today and bought 2 frags for my 12g. I purchased some zoas and a frag with 2 mushrooms on it. One mushroom was green metallic mushroom and the other was just a "regular" mushroom that was also green. I bought the frag because it was on this nice thin rock, and I figured I would crack it in half with a hammer and chisel and then I could separate the 2 (which I have done in the past with another mushroom frag).

Well, you can probably guess where this is going...I got out the hammer and chisel, put the frag on a towel, and when I hit the rock, it completely shattered on the side with the metallic mushroom. It was literally like gravel underneath the "foot" of the shroom. Since I could no longer epoxy it where I wanted, I ended up just setting the thing in the sand.

My question is whether anyone else has had an experience like this? Do you think the shroom might move to a better location now that his "host" rock is destroyed? Do you think he will survive?

Thanks for the responses...this was a major bummer, it was a really nice looking shroom!

Josh

well, i can comment on the odds for survival. its probably very good, i got a single mushroom polyp about a month ago, and it was on a snail shell. well after a week or so my hermit crab decided he like that shell, well for the next 2 weeks my mushroom got an nice tour of the tank, i finaly pryed the shroom off the crab shell and droped in a spot of the tank that has gentle flow and it has attached to the rock. so if your woried about it surviving, mine went through all that and is looking great.

yeah it will be fine..its not like you drove the chisel right through em...make sure you put him in a place with little to no flow..that way he can reattach to something

Ashlar

And even if you did chisel the mushroom to bits, chances are you'd have little shrooms popping up. Them and cockroaches..

Latest posts