Grape Vine Macro Sudden Death

I had some grape macro algae in my tank for a little while and it was doing well, growing fairly quickly. Then, all of a sudden, within one day, it all turned white and disappeared. Does anyone know why this happened. I had it in good lighting and there are other alga in the tank that are doing well, but this was the only macro. Is it part of the life cycle or something. The tank is still doing fine, just the gape vine disappeared. Thanks for any help.

Here is it before it left:

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
That type of algae can go asexual and hurt a lot of stuff in your tank. I would be very careful with it in your display tank. I would not keep that in any tank where the lights go on and off. I keep mine in a refugium which is lit 24/7. I had some wither away but I believe it had been beaten out by other algaes.

So it's because my light went on and off? And how does it hurt other things in the tank, that doesn't sound good... Thanks for the help.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
No problem but I am not sure if that's why it died. if it goes asexual, it is very toxic to your fish and can crash your tank. it also can be a pest algae as it is very difficult to remove once it spreads all over your rocks. I would honestly keep it out of the tank.

Sorry it meant to say "or" instead of "of".
Both, cyano in little amounts isn't that big of a deal but it can take over quickly, starve corals and other algae (like other macros) for light and nutrients. Cyano is very efficient and will use the nutrients quicker and in smaller amounts than need by other algaes to grow and proliferate. *which is why it can be difficult to get rid of once it takes over a tank.

Ok thanks. I used Red Slime Stain Remover and the cyano is all gone so that should help the whole system.
I've used that product also, but its an antibacterial so it doesn't remove the root of the issue which is an abundance of nitrates and phosphates. Keep up on the water changes and add some GFO or similar product so it doesn't come back. It will come back if you don't change something, like over feeding, old rocks, etc. there are many reasons for a build up of nutrients in the system.

Latest posts