socali noob

smirkis

hi

im new here, and to reefing in general. i have a 10gal reef i started almost 3 months ago and thanks to all the locals and nice reefers in general its gotten off to a great start. i have some basic softies, got my feet wet with a bit of sps corals, and the basic clean up crew/shrimps and im enjoying it already.

i'm sure this is the most common statement in reefing, but i've been doing freshwater for over 14 years and am kind of a big time user over at monsterfishkeepers.com i have 2 fresh tanks still, 1 is 150gal leichardti setup and the other is a 400gal mini monster setup with aros/pbass/catfish/gourami/gars/yada n whatever else gets big.

my real names kirk btw. *waves*

smirkis

the 400 will be converted in no time...
i told myself the same thing after i started realizing how fun reefing is. but i just can't imagine doing ro/di or scripps local free water changes on a tank this size. especially the requirements on salt water compared to fresh. i usually jus garden hose it and have been for years.

any monster tank reeefers out there with tips on water changes with a tank this size?

and as far as pics, ill take some new ones when i get home later today to share. i haven't been wanting to share since it was so young but its starting to look more mature with all the algea/coraline growth all over the tank.

thanks for the welcome!

Man if i lived in Sandiego i would definitly have a 400g tank with scripps pier just there. before i use to drive from LA to Scripps once a month to bring back 100g of water. Also took my kids to sea world since i we all had passes. with a 400g tank just do a two 50g WC a month and your good. as long as you have a good skimmer you should be good.

smirkis

bi weekly 100gal changes! woohoo can't wait for that... lol

okay i almost had a heart attack n quit reefing. i don't kno how or why i really did it but i accidently dosed some vodka that was in a water bottle (long story) but my whole tank went to a huge cloud of white and i thought everything was dead.

i did 2 water changes that day and 1 2 days later and now is fully recovering and all the cloudyness is gone and all my corals are re-opening and slowly pulling thru. man o man i almost quit for a while. whata learning experience.

smirkis

thanks for the welcomes everyone.. here's some pics of my setup from start to recent. should be upgrading to i think a 40 within a month or 2

[/QUOTE]

n then most recent shot