Time Lapse Suggestions

I want to take a time lapse of my tank over the next couple of months, but I have a few questions. Should I take a picture every day or week? Is there enough growth per day to justify that? Also, should I wait until I have gotten all my corals in the tank and a spot I like before I begin? I was thinking that corals moving in the video would seem weird. Any other suggestions or pieces of advice are welcome, thanks.

Mrevo

I'd go with day shots since you need a lot of pictures so you can make a decent 30seconds or every other day.

If you're trying to do a time-lapse of your tank for the 'next couple of months' then perhaps a picture every couple hours would be the best thing as assuming you're doing a time lapse of 4-5 months, taking a picture a month or so and making them into a gif. would only render like 5 pictures, which wouldn't really make sense to call it a 'time-lapse' my advice is to do it every couple of hours, from the same exact location/position (tripod) and after 4-5 months, you'll have like 100 pictures that you can upload to photoshop and make it into a gif.

Video is usually 30 frames (pictures) per second. So, one picture a day, for a month would net you a one second video. If you wanted a 30 second video, then you'd need to take 30x more shots. So, for two months, one pic a day gives you a two second video, etc, etc. I would think a one-minute video would be sufficient.

There is also 24fps video and that's easier to think about when it comes to math for a time lapse, considering 24 hours in a day, etc.

You could take a picture every 30 mins and have 48 pics, although maybe 1/2 would be dark because of night, and that would reduce to 24 pictures, or one second of video a day. So at this rate you'd get 30 seconds a month of time lapse video.

Latest posts