How bad did I screw up?

Tony

On a scale of 1-10....

Today I bought my first "big boy" coral. A torch. The other corals I had were tiny frags.

So the guys at the shop suggested I dip before putting it in my main tank.....and after some quick mental math of how much money, blood, sweat and tears I have poured into this tank, I realized I do not need nor do I want worms/etc eating my clam and corals.

So I got a white 5 gal bucket from home depot....put in what I thought to be 1 gallon of water (probably a bit over)....then dropped like 30 drops of that one brand name of coral dip....starts with an "L"....the name is slipping me right now and I'm upstairs and too lazy to go down stairs and look at the name on the bottle. Ludens? No that's cough drops....but something like that.

Anyways so I let the coral sit in the bucket for about 15 minutes....during which I "swished" the water around to make sure it was properly mixed.

Then I grabbed hold of the coral and "swished it" around a few times.....then put it directly in my main tank.

I was reading online later on that I should have had a 2nd bucket....with fresh saltwater to rinse off the dip.

Because I did not do that.....did I harm my tank or other corals or fish? I just went straight from dip bucket to tank.

I also read that I should have done a few other dips to kill a few other pests....because one dip doesn't kill everything? Is that correct?

What do you guys do?

Also.....I'm short on space where I live. I was debating on setting up a QT tank....however is a 3 gallon pico tank big enough to hold most fish that are generally approved for nano tanks?

thanks

U are fine. It's totally ok to put iodine/lugols in ur tank.

If u wanna dip ur corals before u put them in ur tank use Bayers. And yes, with Bayers u want to have a second dip of clean salt water. If u get any Bayers in ur tank it will wipe out all ur pods. Bayers will kill any flat worms or bad pests that u don't want in ur tank.

Hot Dogs are GOOD!

I use revive and use a container with fresh tank water to rinse the coral before it goes into display tank. I heard revive can be harsh on some corals. I killed a kryptonite dipping with it.

I saw some people talking about Bayer insecticide as a dip with positive results. I may try it with next coral. With Beyer I heard some use two containers with fresh tank water to rinse. Don't want that stuff in your tank. You should probably wear gloves when handling it too.

It's good to have a small tank like a 2.5 gallon pico or similar to nuke the coral depending on species and observe it. Lugols is like putting lemon juice on an aids wiener. You want to read up on Bayer (it's a sticky here).

Also revive and other coral rx dips that are stronger than a lugols dip and it's always good to have some interceptor for acros.

Definitely lugols is better than nothing.

pgr11

Supporter
I like revive myself. Bayer is great too but super super important to rinse rinse and more rinse. oh and don't get it on your hands