Copepod and green murky water

My boyfriend and I started out 37gal reef tank with a 5 gal sump and a large refil a filter about 5 months ago. We have a lawnmower blenny, mandarin fish, 7 turbos, 3 asteca snails, banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp, a few sand sifting snails, a pair of maine blizzard clowns, a green bubble tip, and about five small frags of soft corals. Everyone is happy and healthy, but the water gets DISGUSTING VERY QUICKLY. We have been doing about 2-3 30-50% water changes a week for about 3 weeks, just so we can be able to see the back of the tank. The water is green and has a bunch of copepods. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear the water while still keeping some copepods for the mandarin fish?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
How often you feed? What is your filtration like? I think a 37 gallons might be too small for a Mandarin. But a UV sterilizer and carbon should help keep the water cleaner.

We have been using tap water, which is very hard water. My boyfriend feeds them every other day, which I don't think is enough. My boyfriend used to leave the light on for about 16 hours a day which I convinced him to leave it at no more than 12. With the pump we have from the sump the water should be cycling about 13 times an hour.

We are looking at RODI systems, haven't really thought about a uv sterilizer. I don't know if my boyfriend has any carbon in the sump. If there isn't any I will probably add a layer of that carbon cloth. I think I might also buy a better filter sock and see if that changes anything.

The mandarin seems to be very happy and active, so I'm not too worried about him.

Tap water is likely your issue. At the very least it's the first place to start. You really need to use RODI or at worst some distilled water.

Also, how often are you changing the filter sock? Those things become nitrate factories in no time.

Mandarin is happy because there's a million pods which love dirty water. Eventually though the water quality will be an issue even for the fish.

Ok hopefully that should work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for RODI systems. Also, I'm kind of broke so I can't really splurge on an expensive system.

Ok hopefully that should work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for RODI systems. Also, I'm kind of broke so I can't really splurge on an expensive system.
Can you just buy RODI water in the meantime?

Marine Depot was selling the RO Buddie for like $80. Hit them up...they're a sponsor here. And Adrock at Chance of Coral might be able to do something for you.

Thanks so much. Also I have no idea how old the filter sock is or where it came from. I told my bf that if he added a filter sock it will help and was going to buy one but he said we already had one. It might have been thrown in with a bunch of stuff we bought for the tank from craigslist. It could actually be old.

Regardless of overall age, filter socks need to be replace every 3-5 days. Otherwise they trap the food, which they're supposed to do, but then the food starts breaking down which dirties your water. If you're gonna use socks get like 5 or more and then you can just wash them twice a month or so.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
This hobby is really expensive, I know I own 3 tanks. Maybe its not a good idea to keep a tank if you can't take care of it. It takes so much work and you have to be on top on things or else your tanks spirals downwards really quick specially with small tanks. Also cutting corners always back fires. But if you really want to work hard and make this tank as good as can be, start with the RODI unit Omar mentioned. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable people. Just ask away and we'll try to help you out. Best of luck.

I think once things level out it will be more affordable. The price of the RODI system is not as bad as I thought. I've seen one for hundreds of dollars. Hopefully the RODI will be the last major thing we need for set up. Thanks again :)

Latest posts