Staghorn coral has turned white due to "bad batch of salt" and not sheer negligence.

Staghorn coral has turned white due to "bad batch of salt" and not sheer negligence.

Howdy,

We'll I stepped away from my tank for about two weeks because of moving everything from one room into the other to make space for my new addition so in the process of moving, painting and all that other good stuff, I neglected my tank for about two weeks and when I checked the salt level this weekend, I nearly cried as the levels were about 1.032

To make a long story short, I've noticed this coral (above most) that it's complete gone albino on me. Is there chance it will grow if I chop the bad parts out? Should I just bin it?

I've noticed my birds nest are also turning white at the base but I think they might survive as all my levels are semi back to where they need to be. I'm going to give it a week to see what else dies and what that's dying survives.

Any ideas of what to do (aside the obvious to keep an eye on my tank)

Last edited:
So butcher this thing and try to save all the "good" pieces? Yeah, I know about params etc.... I was extremely busy for about 2 weeks and the last thing on my mind was the tank... never again :/

What I'm saying is if the params aren't back to normal cutting the thing up won't help you cause the params will continue to kill off the corals but if the params are good cut it up into frags and save it

BeanMachine

Supporter
So it was a bad batch of salt cause you didn't top your tank off? I'm a little confused. Do you also dose for alk cal and mag by hand and u just didn't do it for those weeks? We need more info to help.

Sorry, the title was stupid but I just needed to use the famous "bad salt batch" it has nothing to do with it, I simply neglected my tank for 2+ weeks and yes, all the levels were off, what was off the most was the salinity.. the needle was almost at the top line (1.032 is it?) it's like you could smell the salt just by getting close to the tank more than normal. I dose cal, mag & alk manually.. while I can't get it right on the mark, I'm usually off a small percentage.

I really think it was a combination of not caring for my tank and all levels being everywhere and the SALT level being the main reason.

BeanMachine

Supporter
I'd ditch the hydrometer and get yourself a refractometer to check your salinity. It may not have had anything to do with your salinity that high, but instead say if you corrected it too quickly. It could be a number of things been there done that when I get lazy.

Sorry, the title was stupid but I just needed to use the famous "bad salt batch" it has nothing to do with it, I simply neglected my tank for 2+ weeks and yes, all the levels were off, what was off the most was the salinity.. the needle was almost at the top line (1.032 is it?) it's like you could smell the salt just by getting close to the tank more than normal. I dose cal, mag & alk manually.. while I can't get it right on the mark, I'm usually off a small percentage.

I really think it was a combination of not caring for my tank and all levels being everywhere and the SALT level being the main reason.
Your "salt level" affects all of your levels. The high salinity likely means your Ca & Alk levels were high too since they are part of the salt in saltwater.

If I were you I'd frag the coral to save the remaining life on them.

A refractometer should be the first thing to look into for now.

I killed countless corals cause i used a hydrometer. All my levels were normal. Then checked salinity against a refractometer and got 1.032.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Cool... first thing I'll do when I get home and chop the chit out of this coral and see what I'm able to salvage from it... Might be turning my tank into a turtle tank soon if more crap dies!

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
get your salinity, cal, alk and magnesium in order. chopping up your corals is a waste of time if you haven't gotten your tank in order. They will have the same fate if nothing has changed.

Having your params in check continually is key. If you neglect your tank for a couple weeks and have high salt content why not just get a top off system. An since your doising manually why not go to dosing pumps. Then at least your parameters stay completely stable. Certainly less likely to lose stuff. I'd trim it if it were me, I would try to save what I could.

thanks Dominic.. I moved everything from one room to another one and painted both rooms to make the baby room closer to our bedroom, then the baby came and that's why I neglected the tank for about a month... everything else is 2ndary. I don't have space for a auto top off system but I do have space for dosing pumps so I might invest in those soon. I didn't have time to chop and save the stag horn so it all just turned white.. and a few other corals... 80% survived so I'll rebuild once time permits.

thanks Dominic.. I moved everything from one room to another one and painted both rooms to make the baby room closer to our bedroom, then the baby came and that's why I neglected the tank for about a month... everything else is 2ndary. I don't have space for a auto top off system but I do have space for dosing pumps so I might invest in those soon. I didn't have time to chop and save the stag horn so it all just turned white.. and a few other corals... 80% survived so I'll rebuild once time permits.
You can use a 5gal bucket for an ato reservoir. Or even a small aquarium

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk