Dr. Tims waste away, Refresh and ecobalance

JPLreefer

Has anyone had any experience with these products and if so, in what combination worked for you?

I'm looking to get rid of phosphates/nitrates in a 90g reef tank. Running GFO reactor.

I was in NYC for 3 months and wife and kids didn't do any water changes. Changed gfo media and have done weekly water changes to get everything back on track. Green hair algae has run rampid and had a lot of clean-up crew die off. Refuge couldn't keep up apparently. Trying other means to get everything back in control without nuking bacteria and losing corals. Lost 2 nems in the process as well.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I'm using waste away now on my 30g but I'm only 6 treatments into it. The algae seem to be getting lighter so hopefully that's a good sign. I was reading to use both waste away and refresh as part of treatment.

One thing to keep in mind is that your water quality got where it is over time...and what's still alive adjusted to it over time. A rapid change in your water can stress and kill what's left just as easily as too dirty of water. Whatever path you end up taking be sure to go slow so that your livestock can acclimate slowly to the newer cleaner environment.

Good luck!

I use waste away just for maintenance. It clears up the algae a bit and the skimmer works better the following days. It picks up more green/dark stuff

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

JPLreefer

sounds like waste away has worked for some... the vinegar though... how does that work for cleaning up the water quality?

DR tim's did not work for me. So I moved on to vinegar and it has been working much better.
How?

Start dosing vinegar. It will bring down ur nitrates. Look into a Brightwells Phos- E. That can help remove phosphates. I've used it on my tank before. Just be careful and do everything very slowly.

Hot Dogs are GOOD!

i recently just started dosing waste away to fight what look like cyano/brown algae. i started light with half dose then went up to 75% and 2 days later i did a full dose well needless to say the algae is gone but my tank is cloudy and my sps look like they are stressing i did a large 75% water change and my skimmer is going crazy taking stuff out of the system i really hope i dont lose anything 2 of my sps are begininng to lose color. i think the product works i just didnt follow directions and possibly over dosed it :(

pgr11

Supporter
i recently just started dosing waste away to fight what look like cyano/brown algae. i started light with half dose then went up to 75% and 2 days later i did a full dose well needless to say the algae is gone but my tank is cloudy and my sps look like they are stressing i did a large 75% water change and my skimmer is going crazy taking stuff out of the system i really hope i dont lose anything 2 of my sps are begininng to lose color. i think the product works i just didnt follow directions and possibly over dosed it :(
Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Water change, skim heavy and kick your lights off. Should clear up

pgr11

Supporter
BTW instead of pulling up an old thread you might have better luck starting a new one.

Latest posts