PH won't go any higher than 7.9 Help!

tongphan

My PH was at 7.0 at one time so I purchased some PH buffer. I've been adding it slowly and now the PH is at 7.9 and wont go any higher than that every other day I add PH buffer Because I have to wait until the ALK drops as the buffer raises the Alk as well. I've almost gone through a whole bottle of PH buffer and still 7.9. Hmmm... :dontknow: Is something else low where its not letting the PH stay steady?:dontknow:

tongphan

:tee:i am running a pinpoint ph monitor. i guess ill try to recalibrate. and yes i am running a ca reactor. the ph in the chamber is at 7.6. my house is always closed and air tight. ill try to airate the house a little better as well.

R

reefer714

What is your Alk level? If it is low, that is your reason for lower PH. Surface turbulence will help. Do you have a fuge?

R

reefer714

uh uh, i better get outta here..... Let me know if you need any help Rick....:)

tongphan

My effluent rate is a fast drop I would say a little slower than the fastest you can count out loud. I will speed it up to what you suggested, a broken stream, and raise the ph in the chamber so it doesn't effect the outside aquarium water much. Makes sense. Now that i think of it, this problem did start when i added the calcium reactor.
My Alk is at 10 and I've always used Salifer test kits. Pinpoint monitor is what I use for ph readings.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.:top:

R

reefer714

Hello Tongphan, if the problem started when you adding the Ca reactor. Do you any Co2 defuser container? My suggestion is drip your effluent into a cup with an air stone to evap the CO2 before it get into your tank. Does it make any sense? You can go to any LFS and buy the square plastic container the kind they use to catch the fish. Drill a hole on the side of the container, get a plastic cup make sure it fit inside the container and also drill a hole toward the top.

Get yourself an air pump and air stone. Put it inside the cup and drip your effluent into the cup. one you do that, test your Ph in the container chamber (not in the cup). You will notice the pH change due the the CO2 being reduce and pH will read higher.

My effluent coming out of the Ca reactor read 6.7 and 8.1 after the defuser.... If you need any help, feel free to drop me a call... Thanks

I suggest recalibrate teh pH meter.
let us know the results, btw, do yo uhave calibration fluid?

I have a ton of 10.0 fluid packs, and would be glad to give you a couple...

Bill