SPS Dominated Tank parameters

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
But look how big your tank was with the amount of sps you had. That's 400ml in a 120 with a small amount of corals. It's definitely possible, I'm just comparing it to mine.
Also dripping kalk cause dosing was getting expensive a gallon every 3 weeks. Lol. I mixed gallon at a time. Mushrooms and xienas get with it

400 sounds pretty high. I have about the same amount of corals with a couple giant clams and I dose 144 per day (24 times X 6ml)
What kind of salt are you using? I think that my alk and ca might be precipitating out of my tank because i am fighting a war to keep it up! No homo!

Doesn't the max amount of alk dosed in one day have to do with the tank volume and the amount of alk your corals are consuming?
I have a 120 gallon tank with mainly sps and i dose like 400 ml ( brs two part ) spread throughout the day to keep my Alk around 7... I have no bleaching and everything is growing and coloring up great (as good as leds get IMO), but i am still dialing in the alk-ca-mg dose so it might be precipitating!

Pic for reference, trying to figure this whole dosing thing out also!

There is not magic number for dosing. It's whatever keeps your parameters consistent from day to day. If that means 400ml a day then that's what you dose. I don't have too much in my tank but I dose 60ml Alk 80ml Cal (bumping it up a little) and 10ml of Mag daily. As your tank grows so will the dosing. My tank runs and 8.5dkh 400-420 cal (moving to 440)and 1400 mag PH 8.1-8.2 consistently.

stable NSW levels is a good place to start.

ORA published their params & suprisingly Ca was like 300, alk 6, most else low low but stable. Then there have been research papers showing alk >10, ca > 500 accelerated growth. Ive had SPS at sustained pH 7.9, temp 80 & pH 8.4 alk 14 with no prob. Ive always had high dissolved O2 levels through all the param experiments in the form of oversized skimming and 50-100x flow for tank volume.

stability & slow changes is key. IMO reefers should learn how to control stability before they tweak things.

if you think you dosing to much check your mag first before making any adjustments low mag shows false reading for alk and cal... but if your tank is full of sps and big colonys that sounds about right.. i just got my 115 up which is going to be another sps tank and ill be doing a cal reactor for it because to me dosing 400ml is just insane in my eyes lol

if you think you dosing to much check your mag first before making any adjustments low mag shows false reading for alk and cal... but if your tank is full of sps and big colonys that sounds about right.. i just got my 115 up which is going to be another sps tank and ill be doing a cal reactor for it because to me dosing 400ml is just insane in my eyes lol
Its not bad when you are using the brs stuff. It is cheap stuff!

ianmcalpin

Its not bad when you are using the brs stuff. It is cheap stuff!
Ya that's is what I use but I still think dosing that much of something is pretty crazy that 800ml both ways when you can just use a cal reactor which does everything might be a little complicated but in the end results well worth it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
I'll throw my perms in here just so you can get an idea about my SPS dominated take.

Cal: 430-450 (60ml/24x)
Alk: 9-10 (50mlx12x)
Mag: 1400 (dose once a week if needed)

These numbers have been climbing almost every week or 2 for me as my corals grow.

I think you guys are precipitating a bunch of cal and alk cuz 400ml a day sounds insane. I have a packed sps and lps tank and I only dose 25ml each a day to keep my perameters stable at;

Cal:450
Alk: 9
Po4- .06
Mag: 1550

Any ideas why I am not needing as much? I have some huge colonies in my tank too. Everything seems healthy but the growth is kinda slow.

This is a old picture and there is now even more sps. I use scripps nsw

We've been getting amazing growth and color like crazy with the following:
Ca-500
Mag-1500
Alk-10.5
Phos-.05

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I think you guys are precipitating a bunch of cal and alk cuz 400ml a day sounds insane. I have a packed sps and lps tank and I only dose 25ml each a day to keep my perameters stable at;

Cal:450
Alk: 9
Po4- .06
Mag: 1550

Any ideas why I am not needing as much? I have some huge colonies in my tank too. Everything seems healthy but the growth is kinda slow.

This is a old picture and there is now even more sps. I use scripps nsw

I don't see any HUGE acro (SPS) colonies. Lps hardly consumes any alk or cal when compared to SPS.

This is a old picture but I have several colonies 7"+ in size and it's a 6' tank so don't let the picture fool you of the size. The blue challis is the size of a basketball