Starfish not looking so good....

Tony

Got a starfish in my tank....he's been there for about 3 weeks now.

It appears as if someone attacked his arm....the only culprit (aside from the two immature clownfish) is the emerald crab.

Can I get your guys thoughts on how he looks?

star.jpg

Also....my nitrates jumped up to 40ppm since 3 days ago....could this starfish be on his last legs and is currently in the process of nuking my tank?

I'm going to do a water change tomorrow.....stop feeding tomorrow (I usually feed a few small flakes to the clowns 2x per day....but only enough for them to eat in 30 seconds) and my skimmer is currently running.

pgr11

Supporter
Hard to keep long term and if he's dropping off pieces of his body to decay it will muddy up your water for sure

Tony

It's a Tong's $19.99 special. If you're in Orange County....you know who I'm talking about.

It's a basic red starfish.

Ok, so basic consensus is to get rid of?

Tony

I dripped acclimated him....know they are very sensitive to salinity changes.....and I don't even have an ATO in my 24ga AIO tank.

sorry ..that sucks :( I never knew they were so hard to keep? I have had two 5 inch ones ( orange and blue) in my tank for 2 years.. have made it thru 2 crashes..and major salinity /alk changes.. bulletproof! .. they sound like the exception to the rule from what I hear..what are the big issues for them?

Starfish are imposible to keep. the reason being is that small tank less that 300 gal can't support the biodiversity to keep them feed. the only solution would be to buy lots of live food like u would for a mandarin, but mandarins can be weened onto other foods starfish only eat live sand inhabiting foodstuffs that are hard to find and expensive. regarding the limb, ur crab may have attacked it, but I feel this is more likely stress from no food. in an attempt to save itself starfish will sacrifice limbs to save energy. they look great and are a great part of a clean up crew but are better suited to large systems

Latest posts