Zoa not opening & clowns hosting

Tony

So I went to Coral Obsessions (again) today to get some water....walked out with a few Zoa frags and a nice bubble tip nem.

Came home and basically had to re-arrange my entire tank again so that I could find a nice rock for all my zoas.

I think one of the owners of Coral Obsessions is on this forum....I forget his name but if he's here, he can tell you exactly what I bought. It was a blue zoa and an orange one and he gave me another red one for free.

So I got home and dipped everything (except for the nem) and got my hands dirty and re-arranged the tank.

So all the zoa frags I got today opened after about 2 hours.....except for another zoa frag that I got from them 2 weeks ago. This frag was doing great for the past 2 weeks, and it looked great right up until I pulled the plug on the tank today to move the rocks around a bit.

I had to take that zoa frag off the rock it was glued onto.....and then move it to another rock and glued it there. This all went down around 2pm today. It's now almost 6pm and that zoa has NOT opened yet.

Did I accidentally kill it? That zoa was looking great today and for the past 2 weeks....but after I turned the tank back on (lights/pump/heater/etc).....the frag refused to open.

Also, the bigger of my two Da Vinci clowns was biting my hand pretty **** hard today....apparently her (it's the bigger of the two...so assuming "female"?) "spot" as the heater element in the back of the tank. Due to the way I re-arranged the rocks. I blocked off the heater.

She and her buddy usually host the top of the water at night time.

I realize there is no definitive answer....but is there any way I can "suggest" she and her boyfriend host the new nem that I got? I think I got a red bubble tip nem....but again, I'm not sure of the name. The nem is kind of small....and I put it in a "cave" in some live rock towards the bottom....knock on wood, it stayed put and it's looking good....but the hole in the cave is bigger that the nem....so I'm hoping it doesn't go on a little trip around my 24ga tank. I have frags EVERYWHERE and the last time I had a nem, it made the mistake of landing on one of my torch corals and the torch coral used it's chemical weapons and really jacked up the nem. I got another HUGE torch coral in my tank and the nem will die if he tangles with this torch coral.

If that dude who works (I think he's part owner?) at Coral Obsessions sees this thread, can you please jump in and tell me what I got again? lol

I suck at names.....actually I take that back. I dropped a few hundred bucks on corals from them over the past 2 weeks and I do remember I got a "blond hair, blue eyed *****" from them. So that I remember haha. You guys should name all your corals after hot chicks, or various body parts of chicks and I will have no problem remembering their names.

Also, does it mean anything that the clown was physically ramming herself into my gloved hand? It didn't hurt....but it shocked me a few times. That little fish has a ton of power and she was ramming me at full force. Is this normal?

Thanks if you guys can help

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
You pissed off the zoa, as long as you didn't rip its flesh it should come around, not all zoas are the same some take days to open back up. As for the clowns, yes they will bite you they are just protecting their home, its no longer yours :p good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Tony

Thanks.....yeah apparently this isn't my tank anymore and it's her and her boyfriends. The lights are off in the tank and they're both hosting behind the powerhead at the top.

Ok thanks for the tip on the zoa....I was fumbling around with it and dropped it 2x on my carpet as I was trying to put the coral super glue on the bottom of the frag. I'm not coordinated and I hope I didn't piss it off too much. It was a really nice green one.

gr1mm

I like the new name, blonde hair blue eye b**** hahahahahahahaha give the zoa some time and pray the nem doesn't move cuz it will!

jn92683

I got a frag of some rastas and it didn't open up till 1 and a half weeks after I put it in my tank l. Lol thought it was a goner. But they all opened up and look healthy

Tony

Actually, that's what they are. Rastas.

Thanks for jogging my memory. So apparently Rastas are super sensitive? Everything else is doing just fine.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Actually, that's what they are. Rastas.

Thanks for jogging my memory. So apparently Rastas are super sensitive? Everything else is doing just fine.
Yes they are, mine were closed for a while, I have about 30 of them so I don't really care lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Tony,
When you arranged entire tank, that mean you shocked the whole system due to disturb ecosystem in the tank. Clownfish tried to defense their house.
Rasta is sensitive zoa, so it take time for them to adapt to new environment. FYI, not all corals open up right away in new tank. It is about adaptation, one coral adapt faster than other. Good luck and Happy Reefing.