what are these?

Tony

Found a few long flat worms in my tank in the daytime today.....I'm seeing at least 1 worm on each of the live rocks....seems to be some sort of "worm explosion".

if the pics below aren't clear....the worm is half white and half grey.

Good or? worm1.jpg worm2.jpg

Tony

In the 1st picture, the worm is camoflauged...but is right in between the conch on the top and nem on the bottom.

In the 2nd picture, the work is hanging out of my zoas.....that can't be good?

looks like a bristle worm and they start to multiply when there is excessive amount of nutrient/ food for them to eat

Tony

Ok so somehow the nitrates went up to 40ppm....after being at ~10ppm for the longest time. Tank is 6mos. old....I'm running a skimmer and nothing else. JBJ 24ga nano.

I'm wondering if the decaying starfish I had in there (had no idea he was decaying) was responsible for the high nitrates....also when I took the huge torch coral out of the tank to re-arrange my rocks and glue some zoas.....I smelt a very nasty "decaying" smell. Not sure if it's due to a head of the torch dying off....or what?

Also....I'm running a Tunze 9002 skimmer....why isn't it taking more crap out of the water column? I thought this is what skimmers were for? I got it dialed in and everything.

I do admit...I feed my clowns 2x per day....but almost none of the food hits the bottom of the tank as the clowns eat it like sharks.....and I only feed for about ~30 seconds.

gr1mm

try to run chemiclean elite or carbon to help with the smell and nitrates and phosphates. what is your skimmer rated for?

Tony

I'm not sure what it's rated for....but all the guys with JBJ 24ga nano tanks use this particular skimmer because it fits with the lid closed (and a modified cup).

I was under the impression skimmers keep water crystal clean....but apparently not in this case.

I'm off to buy some chemipure elite.....but that really doesn't solve the problem. I know to lower my feedings to once a day.....and I forgot to tell you guys this, but every morning I give the entire tank a "squirt" of phytoplankton. It's my intention to feed whatever corals, frags, maxima clams (3" long) and whatever else some phytoplankton....and it was my hope that the skimmer would pull out the stuff that's not eaten.

Tony

I do 25% every 7 days. I use the ro/di with salt mix...I stopped using "Catalina water" after hearing some not so good stuff about it.

I also got my skimmer running 24/7. I hopefully will get this under control.

I went out tonight and bought a lawnmower blenny. My tank is under-stocked (with regards to fish) so he should fit in just perfectly.

I would get a biopellet reactor. after the colony is active(3-7 days) the nitrate and phosphate should drop massively. unless u want to change water for the next 6 months this is a good way to go to get u back up fast. the only problem with them is that they r actually too efficient and will strip the system of these nutrients. many corals need very small amouts of them to survive. Recirculating reactors are the best but aren't cheap, but with one, these nutients won't ever be a problem again. another plus is u can really overfeed. basically feel free to dump food in the tank and have fat happy fish and coral. Go watch this vid and it should explain everything-part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhmI8vtnfw

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx4HOsG3Rc

Latest posts