Cannot scrape algae off glass

Tony

JBJ 24ga nano tank. 6mos old.

There is some green algae (dark green) on the right hand side of the tank, underneath the powerhead......that refuses to scrape off with a conventional scrape brush.

Also, the rock that is near the side of the tank....COVERED in green hair algae that's thick. My nitrates spiked to 40ppm, but are coming down now. For the past few months they have been at ~10ppm.

Phosphates at .025

Are there any invertebrates that view green hair algae growing on live rock as a treat? I know tangs love it....but my tank is too small for a tang.

Tony

and I'm using stock LED lights on my JBJ 24ga nano tank.

~10 hour photo period every day with ~1 hour of "moon" (the blue light) right before I turn main lights on in the morning and right after I turn main lights off at night.

thank you for your help

gr1mm

get and algae sponge and scrub hard before you do a water change then syphon what you can out, is you don't have any sps a lawnmower blenny will clean your tank but can be tricky cuz the one I had bit off some zoas so maybe turbo snail if you don't have any loose frags since they tend to knock everything off.

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
Just use the square razor blades from Home Depot. Make sure you dont lift the blade from one side because you will scratch he glass. Also, you can try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (Original).

Like the razor idea I use empty gift cards. I especially like stArbucks cards because they are stiff and they last

Tony

Wow, thanks for the great ideas everyone!

With regards to lawnmower blenny....will he play nice with two clowns, one of which who is a female and a bully? She just turned into a female (I'm pretty sure) and she's got a mean temper.

Also....I'm going to lower photo period and stop feeding so much. The clowns hustle me for food everytime I sit in front of the tank....they sit there and follow me around and dance and go up to the water like they want me to feed them. I just need to learn how to say "no".

Also....now that I got everyone's attention....and to prevent me from littering the forum with n00b threads.....

Can you please look at the below picture? When the blue lights come on at night (for 1 hour after the main photo period).....the "female" goes to the back right hand side of the tank, where they heater is.

The smaller clown goes to the front right of the tank.....and turns so his face is facing the bottom of the tank. It appears as if she's forcing him to do this. What does this mean?

I'm not even sure she's a female as I just got these two Da Vinci clowns about a month ago.....one is bigger than the other......and more aggressive.

If I turn on the tank lights at night (after the blue light goes out) I see both clowns hosting the top of the water column, right by the heater.

I'm also wondering how to get them to host the new bubble tip nem that I bought the other day.....or does it happen in a few months or not at all?

Clowns are very cool, but very strange fish.

clown2.jpg

Tony

Whoops I posted in the wrong thread.

I went out and got a lawnmower blenny tonight. Drip acclimated him. Not sure how he's doing because it's lights out until 7am.

I will probably use razor blade when I grow some courage to put my hand in the tank again. My clown was really attacking my hand last time....it sucks because she's now hosting the top of the aquarium heater at the top of the water....I want her to host the nem I just bought....but it retracts into a cave it's living in.