Clown behavior

Tony

What does it mean when a clown shakes violently in front of its friend?

I got two immature clowns....one is bigger than he other and is a big bully.

I was under the impression that shaking was a subordinate thing? Why would the bigger clown shake in front of the sub clown?

Also....if you guys don't have a lawnmower blenny....you should buy one. They are cool to watch and have personality.

lol .. I guess they're still 'working out' who will be boss ( female) normally it's the smaller male that does this pairing ritual to show subordination .. But they can both do it if they haven't paired up yet. Interesting to see who will 'man up' ;)

Tony

I sure hope it's the smaller one that turns into the man....it HAS to be the smaller one, right?

the big one is an absolute tyrant.

Yes.. It will end up with the small one being male.. If they are close in size it can take a while for one to dominate. You may just have a very aggressive smaller clown.. But they'll work it out :)

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched a lawnmower blenny absolutely destroying a small sick clownfish at a pet store and that made me decide I wouldn't get one of those. That may not be the norm but that was enough for me.

Tony

Yes.. It will end up with the small one being male.. If they are close in size it can take a while for one to dominate. You may just have a very aggressive smaller clown.. But they'll work it out :)

It's actually the bigger one who's extremely aggressive. I'm sitting on my couch watching "her" pick on the smaller clownfish by nipping "his" fins (quotes because I don't think they're sexed yet....just in the process of determining who is the girl).

Is that normal? The aggression only really happens when the blue LED lights come on around 5pm.....then the big one takes her place at the top right hand corner by the water column and she punks the smaller fish so that he's forced to hang out in the bottom of the tank. Is this normal?

When I come downstairs late at night, they're both hosting the top of the water by the heater.

Also, that lawnmower blenny just DESTROYED a huge patch of hair algae growing on my live rock that my zoas are on.....I mean wow. The rock is bare clean.

Yup.. She's the boss lol mine have been paired forever, but she still lowers the hammer every now and then ;) as long as she's not viscously attacking him all day, they're fine ..

Latest posts