WTF is this? At first I thought it was a snail and now it's like a water balloon...

Hello Internet.

I saw this small thing crawling on this plug and I just thought it was a snail who had parked itself on the plug. It was the size of a dime so I didn't think much of it. Now this thing has grown like 3-4 inches and it's full of water... has a weird texture. Can someone tell me what the hell this is?

I haven't trashed it as I have my only single head LA LAKER zoanthid on it... (PS. Anyone near LA who has LA LAKER zoas, please PM me as this thing seems it shouldn't be in my tank)

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like bubble algae. Don't pop it in your tank or you will release the spores. Since you were able to take it out take a picture of it in your normal house lighting so it won't look so blue

Better pictures.... maybe.

and yes... I pulled it away from the frag disk as when I put it back into the tank after a few pictures, the water had come out so it was floating then a few seconds later, water started to fill it up and it was sinking... didn't want to chance it so I took it off the frag.. it would break off.. weird thing.. Never seen it before and I don't have other inside my tank.

Bubble algae and it burst in your tank so you will have new bubbles real soon. Next time just pull it out and don't ever let it deflate. It's a nuisance algae that is really difficult to get rid of.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
If it was full still it could have been in some serious competition with the other large ones here. There's even a thread about it lol

That thing wasn't like completely closed because when I would take it out, water would release from it making it hallow and when I would put it back in, it would fill up with water... weird crap and I thought it was a snail at first. it's been in the trash as of yesterday... killed my single head LAKER polyp because it would move everywhere since it didn't have the weight of the water to hold it down.... if I grow another one, I'll update this post with a taste test.