Clowns shaking violently

Tony

Hi, sorry for the noob thread....

But now both my clowns (the big one AND the small one) who have been in this tank now for about a month are shaking violently in front of each other in the day time.

Is this trying to figure out who's dominant or is it a signal of bad water quality? The shaking is pretty pronounced.....

thanks

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like your clowns are addicted to smack and need a fix. jk Sounds like they're doing a little dirty dancing with each other.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Lol its normal, even when paired they still argue sometimes, all couples do! Lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Sometimes the smaller male will shake to let the larger female know that he surrenders.

Tony

Well the bigger "female" (don't think they're sexed yet....I think they're still working out who has the penis) is shaking in front of the male.

And yeah....last time I chop and snort likes of coke above my fish tank...

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Mine did that often but moreso the little male. I'm pretty sure it's them doing the humpty dance to get the mood going. Dim the reef lights and turn on some barry white.

Tony

Might as well ask noob question #2 while I got your attention.....

Right now both clowns are hosting the upper top of the tank (by the heater) at night time.

I got a (somewhat small) rose bubbletip anemone about 2 weeks ago and it's flourishing in a small rock cave near the bottom.

Have you guys seen clowns host new nems after a while or could it take a few months?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Can you move the rock with the nem on it? If so place the nem and clowns in a container until they move into the nem. I've had clowns that wanted nothing to do with the nem and host the corner of my tank.
Might as well ask noob question #2 while I got your attention.....

Right now both clowns are hosting the upper top of the tank (by the heater) at night time.

I got a (somewhat small) rose bubbletip anemone about 2 weeks ago and it's flourishing in a small rock cave near the bottom.

Have you guys seen clowns host new nems after a while or could it take a few months?

i think it really depends on the individual clowns.

my own pair have hosting ADD.

they were super attached to the ultra-rose BTA at first, and then decided that they liked the green BTA more, and now, when the GBTA closes up, they either dive bomb the BTA, or they swim over to the elegance coral and starts bouncing around in that.

Tony

Can you move the rock with the nem on it? If so place the nem and clowns in a container until they move into the nem. I've had clowns that wanted nothing to do with the nem and host the corner of my tank.

I could....but I don't have a QT tank set up. So the best I could do is a 3gal pico tank and "that rock" (that has the cave that houses the nem).

How long would they have to be forced together for?

Sounds like an interesting idea....

<<edit>>

Oh I should note that the nem closes up at night time....and it sinks back into the cave. So would it really matter?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
no need to move them out of the tank. tupperware container or a strainer works. Just float it in the tank with the nem and fish. May take a few hours. Better if there's a way to get water flow into the container like the strainer. Then you won't have to worry so much about keeping the fish and nem in there for an extended period
I could....but I don't have a QT tank set up. So the best I could do is a 3gal pico tank and "that rock" (that has the cave that houses the nem).

How long would they have to be forced together for?

Sounds like an interesting idea....

<<edit>>

Oh I should note that the nem closes up at night time....and it sinks back into the cave. So would it really matter?

kyroshi

no need to move them out of the tank. tupperware container or a strainer works. Just float it in the tank with the nem and fish. May take a few hours. Better if there's a way to get water flow into the container like the strainer. Then you won't have to worry so much about keeping the fish and nem in there for an extended period
Strainer works wonders! I personally tried this and left the clows with the nem for 3days. By day 2 they wouldn't leave the nem. Just make sure you dont forget to feed them while they are in there :).

Tony

I think I will wait until the balls drop on one or the other....then give that a shot.

But it means I have to displace the nem from its rock....and.....eh.