Rasta Disappeard from frag plug? :help (2):

kyroshi

So I put in a single polyp rasta frag in the tank this past saturday, Monday it looked like it was starting to open... but now its not even on the plug anymore... Could it have melted/tore itself off and moved/ or took on a new profession as houdini??

I did dip it in revive for a few moments (yes made sure it was only a few moments)

Everything else in the tank (granted not alot of things in there but) is doing great and having huge extension

Since it will be asked my params are as follows

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Ph - 8.12 (swing is 8.05 - 8.12 for a 24 hours cycle)
Temp 78 (swing is 77.5-78)
Calcium - 600 (never really trusted my red sea cal test... its prob more towards the 400 area)
Alk - 9.5
Mag - 1400

It just happens. Freshly fragged don't always make it, especially when only one polyp. Why you should buy something that looks like more zoa mat then glue.

kyroshi

It just happens. Freshly fragged don't always make it, especially when only one polyp. Why you should buy something that looks like more zoa mat then glue.
had a feeling it was a bad idea to buy the single... oh well live and learn :) But at least it happens and doesn't seem like its the tank or anything...

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Maybe it just fell off the plug, thats how I lost my shazam it came off now I can't find it :(

kyroshi

The guy I got it from said it was recently glued.. prob a little less than a week before we bought it. Ill check around the tank and see if I can find it. Its small so I doubt it.

And I don't mean to sound like I think you got cheated, its just chances of the coral making it long term are increased if you purchase healed frags or frags that look encrusted to the plug etc.

kyroshi

And I don't mean to sound like I think you got cheated, its just chances of the coral making it long term are increased if you purchase healed frags or frags that look encrusted to the plug etc.
Prob did get cheated :) it happens. At least I'm learning right! I do appreciate the straight feed back though.

This is one of my main pet peeves with zoas and glue. i only like to buy the zoas attached to rock and then glued to a plug. if its a zoa glued to a plug its more likely to come off and get lost. zoas expand and contract so it can break loose from the glue, plus it takes longer for the zoa to grow over the glue.

Do you have any asterina starfish in your tank? Reason I ask is I would lose 1 to 2 polyp frags all the time, and couldn't figure out why. Until a buddy of mine told me about them. I still have them, been looking for a harlequin shrimp, but now every time I see one I remove it from my tank. HTH!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had stuff fall off plugs. Luckily I had a spare ecoxotic blue stunner strip
So I turned the lights off and lit the sides of the tank with the stunner strip. This made stuff glow where I was looking. Just a tip. You might find it somewhere in your rockwork that way

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

kyroshi

Do you have any asterina starfish in your tank? Reason I ask is I would lose 1 to 2 polyp frags all the time, and couldn't figure out why. Until a buddy of mine told me about them. I still have them, been looking for a harlequin shrimp, but now every time I see one I remove it from my tank. HTH!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Negative no asternia star fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyroshi

I've had stuff fall off plugs. Luckily I had a spare ecoxotic blue stunner strip
So I turned the lights off and lit the sides of the tank with the stunner strip. This made stuff glow where I was looking. Just a tip. You might find it somewhere in your rockwork that way

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thank you for that tip. I'll give that a shot tonight and see if I can find it

kyroshi

To those that offered to give me a Rasta frag I truly appreciate it. Going to keep looking and see if I can't find it