Nitrate spike

Soon as i got home from work i was testing my water and noticed my nitrate jumped wayyy up. 40-50 ppm. Usually its very low. Last night i had put a new maxi jet 1200 on my jbj 28g nano cube. Curious if it just stirred my tank up which caused the spike?? Anyway I did a 5 gallon water change and it brought it down.. All the fish and coral seem to be doing good. Although my angel seems to be much more active that usual. But maybe because of increased flow. Not sure.. Any input would help. Thanks

That's a very good possibility that the increased flow stirred up some junk that started denitrifying. What was the last reading you got?
Regardless good call on the water change. Keep an eye on the No3 and stick with some small water changes to bring it down slowly....don't want to shock the system.

xthunderx

Premium Member
Supporter
That's a very good possibility that the increased flow stirred up some junk that started denitrifying. What was the last reading you got?
Regardless good call on the water change. Keep an eye on the No3 and stick with some small water changes to bring it down slowly....don't want to shock the system.
Sounds about right. I noticed a nitrate spike one time when a large turbo snail died in my tank. When I took him out, he smelled terrible. Took two weeks to get levels back to normal.

Last edited:
Alright then i'll keep an eye on it and do a few more random small water changes throughout the week. Thanks for the help!