Can't Keep Monti's to save my life!

mkfmedic

So I can keep Acro's, Millie's, Starfish, Urchins, Stylo's, Lepto's, Acans, Chalice's, Echinopora's, Scoly's, Goniopora, BTA, Aussie Gold Torch, and polyps..... but I can't seem to keep any of the fancy Montipora's alive!? What the "F" is up with that?

I kept them just fine in a 30 gallon tank and now in my 120 I don't seem to be able to keep one without a major struggle for more than a couple of months. My water parameters are fine..... other than a faulty pump that added too much ALK, so that certainly could be a cause, but other than that, everything is within recommended levels.

Anyone else have these issues? So far, I've been unsuccessful with a Superman, Purple Haze, a Orange with Green Polyp and a Blue with Green Polyp (Sorry the names escape me). It's frustrating because all of the other corals are doing well and growing and yet, these always seem to have a problem.

Anyone else? Ideas?

Thanks so much for your thoughts,

Mike

Last edited:
Hmm that's weird. Where are u getting them from? Could be the source. My fianc has a couple montis in her office tank. Never does water changes and hardly doses anything. Her montis are growing great. Even better then some of her zoos.

I would guess it's the source of where ur getting the montis from

mkfmedic

Hey thanks guys. Yes, I usually start them at the bottom and quickly try to get them towards the top. I use Radion G2's at about 50% max intensity during the light cycle. I've never had these issues before and do not think it is the source as most of these were from the tanks of members on this forum. I did however have a ALK spike in my tank due to faulty pump on my GHL doser, but the highest it read was 12.8, Yes, high, but not a death sentence. I rectified the problem and have done three very large water changes as of late. As of a couple of days ago it seemed that there was a "Brown" type of algae growing on portions of the monti. I used a turkey baster to blast the brown "Stuff" off of the monti's and will wait and see. I say "Stuff" because it isn't present anywhere else in my tank.

Should I consider just removing the offending pieces and give my tank more time before trying again? Like I mentioned, everything else seems to be thriving and doing well, so I'm a bit confused.

Mike

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
More info describing what happens to the montis will help to determine what is going on with them. Are they bleaching, browning, ect. Also have u checked ur potasuim level? Do u dose potasuim?

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
I would get more flow and honestly in my tank which is pretty much all led plus 2 to to supplement mine have to be at the bottom of my tank with my lights at 50% and my tank is 24" deep. I honestly believe less ate stronger then what most think and I don't believe a part meter is accurate with less for.some reason. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
I would get more flow and honestly in my tank which is pretty much all led plus 2 to to supplement mine have to be at the bottom of my tank with my lights at 50% and my tank is 24" deep. But i do have higher flow then most on the bottom of my tank also. I honestly believe leds are stronger then what most think and I don't believe a par meter is accurate with leds for some reason. Just my 2 cents.

gr1mm

I also had an alkalinity swing a couple of months ago which wiped a couple of months, did water changes and slowly one of them survived. im running 24x3w led on a jbj nano cune with my light 15-6" above water line and my monti was about mid tank with great growth.

mkfmedic

All good thoughts.

I don't test for Potassium. Never had, but wouldn't those levels effect the other corals in the tank???

I have two MP40's on each end the the 48" long tank. I had them maxed out during their programs from anywhere from 60 - 75 percent. I've just set them to be anywhere from 85 - 100 percent, so we will see if that helps. The return pump is a Jabeo6000 returning through two 3/4" lines with accelerators.

To describe what happens to the montis. Well it seems that I add them to the tank with no problem. Full color and polyp extension. Then over time they seem to lose their polyp extension and as of today had a "Brown" type film over their bodies. I was able to blow off the film with a turkey baster and under the blue's I can see some slight polyp extension, but no where near what they were when I first added them to the tank. Again, all the other corals seem to be doing fine and growing, so I'm not entirely sure why the Monti's are being effected.

Anyway, thanks for your continued advice and opinions. I'll keep these particular frags in the tank and see if they can improve with the increased flow!

Mike

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like the lighting. You might need to take longer to acclimate them to the LEDs. As far as the brown algae, you might have high phosphates, I would check your phosphates

mkfmedic

Steve, the brown film, which must be algae right?, is only on three of the monti's. Weird. Not on the glass, rock or anywhere else noticeable anyway. Makes me think that it is growing on the tissue that is dead or dying.

I checked Phosphate and there was a spike up to .18 which is high for me since I normally have it pretty close to 0.00 most of the time. Using a Hanna Checker. I changed my GFO and well see if that helps get that back in track.

Nitrates less than 5, Calc 430 and Mag at 1400. Specific Gravity 1.025 and temp is averaging 78 f.

So my next question is if I manage to get everything in line, parameters and lighting, can the Monti's come back, color up and grow again?

Thanks,

Mike

gr1mm

if they don't fully die and manage to hang on and acclimate to your lights and tank parameters, they will come back and grow. mine did.

Latest posts