Setting up a quarantine tank

Hi still new to the hobby my question is I know this may be a dumb question but I'm looking to set up a quarantine tank , what is required ex: filtration , lighting , cycled or not .

Thanks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least a 20 gallon, bare bottom tank, setup like a regular tank with things like HOB filter, a skimmer, a power head, a heater, a sponge filter, and an uv light. You can put the chemical filter in the HOB filter, but be ready to move out filters for a Read up on disease prevention. Bob Fenner's wet web media has many good article about both topics.

At least a 20 gallon, bare bottom tank, setup like a regular tank with things like HOB filter, a skimmer, a power head, a heater, a sponge filter, and an uv light. You can put the chemical filter in the HOB filter, but be ready to move out filters for a Read up on disease prevention. Bob Fenner's wet web media has many good article about both topics.

Thanks for the information , would a fluval canister filter work ..?? Also how long should the quarantine tank be established for ..??

The first questions you need to answer is what your goal is for QT. Is it that the fish are comfy and eating? Or are you planning to treat them? If you do want to treat them, what will you use?

The setup can be as complex and simple as you'd like but these questions matter because they'll determine exactly what you'll use.

The first questions you need to answer is what your goal is for QT. Is it that the fish are comfy and eating? Or are you planning to treat them? If you do want to treat them, what will you use?

The setup can be as complex and simple as you'd like but these questions matter because they'll determine exactly what you'll use.
I'm planing on using it to treat them for ich . My goal is to try to hypo or treat with copper by them I mean a blue tang also would like to use it when I buy new fish to quarantine prior to placing them in my display tank

Okay! If you're going to use meds then that knocks out a few things.

Here's what I'd suggest:
FIRST AND FOREMOST, research the heck out of the medicated QT process and treatments. Also research what fish will do well being treated and which won't.

Here's the gear list I'd suggest:
20g minimum tank (the bigger the better)
Sponge filter (lots of extra sponges that you can keep one at a time in your sump/DT so that they're colonized with biofilter)
2-4" PVC elbows & fittings for hiding places
Ammonia Badge
AmQuel or other ammonia binder
Plenty of mixed SW at the ready
Refractometer (if you do hypo)
Ammonia test
Copper test
A net only for use with this setup
Heater
Powerhead for flow

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
If you treat using hypo I recommend some form of ATO otherwise you can easily fall out of hypo parameters from evaporation in a single day. I like to use cupramine when treating ich. All you need for a QT is equipment to keep stable parameters. A heater is a must as well as some form of water movement. Skimmer, uv sterilizer, etc is unneccessary and can be counter productive or even lethal when used with certain medications. I'm running a QT now and it's a 20g acrylic with a heater, powerheads, and a filter sock. Lighting is optional to if there's enough ambient light for the fish. Common QT tanks will have a HOB filter but it isn't a must. One thing for sure though, always have some saltwater and a bag of carbon ready to go as a back up just in case you get an ammo spike or the fish don't take to medication well. Kudos to you for QTing!

Huntington Park, South Central and sometimes River
If you have a fish in your DT that already has Cryptocaryonosis then the cysts are already in your system. Quarantining your fish won't help since it will be reinfected once reintroduced to the DT. Cryptocaryonosis can be lived with and tolerated by fish. They live with it in the wild but in our tiny closed systems things can get haywire.

My simple QT system consists of:
15g tank
CPR BakPak fractionator
Heater
Old bio wheel I reused from an old filter
Couple sections of 1.5" PVC

That's it.

Keep it simple. You're going to be treating with various medications depending on your end goal. I can't stress this enough... KEEP IT SIMPLE.

UV sterilizers are nice but are like putting a bandaid on a hemmorhage. You might feel like you did something but without proper corrective action it serves no substantive purpose. I've been quarantining fish from tiny sticklebacks to elasmobranchs for about 15 years now. Depending on where you're located we can meet up and discuss the process in person. I'm typing on my phone so these fat fingers can only type so much. Lol

Edit: I JUST saw you're in Hacienda Heights. I drive past HH daily as I work in LA. Let me know if you want to discuss this further in person. There's too much to type from a phone.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Also always do some research about medications and checking everything against it. Whether mixing meds, salinity, safe with uv sterilizer if using one, etc. I've researched cupramine before using it and it seems to not be friendly with UV sterilizers and some forms of ammonia blockers/guards. If you go hypo and plan on running any form of other medication, make sure it's hypo safe.

If you have a fish in your DT that already has Cryptocaryonosis then the cysts are already in your system. Quarantining your fish won't help since it will be reinfected once reintroduced to the DT. Cryptocaryonosis can be lived with and tolerated by fish. They live with it in the wild but in our tiny closed systems things can get haywire.

My simple QT system consists of:
15g tank
CPR BakPak fractionator
Heater
Old bio wheel I reused from an old filter
Couple sections of 1.5" PVC

That's it.

Keep it simple. You're going to be treating with various medications depending on your end goal. I can't stress this enough... KEEP IT SIMPLE.

UV sterilizers are nice but are like putting a bandaid on a hemmorhage. You might feel like you did something but without proper corrective action it serves no substantive purpose. I've been quarantining fish from tiny sticklebacks to elasmobranchs for about 15 years now. Depending on where you're located we can meet up and discuss the process in person. I'm typing on my phone so these fat fingers can only type so much. Lol

Edit: I JUST saw you're in Hacienda Heights. I drive past HH daily as I work in LA. Let me know if you want to discuss this further in person. There's too much to type from a phone.

Al that be great if we could talk in person , around what times you past my side of town ..?? If you like here's my cell number ***-***-****(I edited that # out so you don't get some not calling you!~AL) so we can arrange a get together

Thank you soo much , everyone in this forum is awesome ....

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
KISS method
Keep It Simple Stupid method is the way to go. Sometimes too many factors can create too many problems. That's a good size for a QT tank as well.
LOL...tagging along. I have an old corner 36g aquarium formerly housed by my Red Ear slider turtles...too much research for QTing is making my head hurt.