Clowns hosting - how to discourage

Tony

My two clowns have finally figured out who's the female.

They used to host the thermometer at night time and they would swim around the tank in the daytime.

Now they are hosting the thermometer and the "water intake" (in my JBJ 24ga nano tank) in the daytime.

How do I discourage this behavior? There is a perfectly good bubble tip anemone in the tank and a duncan and a torch coral (2 to be exact) and some frogspawn.

I remember someone telling me to yank the clowns out of the tank.....then yank the bubble tip anemone out of the tank......then put everything in a 3gal pico tank and the clowns should host to the nem.

I'm concerned that since the pico tank is not cycled....and I would basically be taking 3gallons of water, and a few pieces of live rock from my established tank and hope there isn't a cycle.

It would also put stress on not only the clowns.....but the nem as well.

Am I being a selfish asshole by wanting my clowns to host to something other than the thermometer?

Use a floating breeder container. Put the clowns in there with the anemone. Wait until they host the anemone and then move them back.

And no, you're not being selfish. A thermometer is no place for a respectable clown.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Get a clear box that has suction cups put the clowns in there with the nem during night time they usually look for a place to sleep and they usually go for the nem....

Just let them be. I have 2 dumbass clowns that used to host my return nozzles, WP40, thermometer, and everything else but the 8 nems I had in my old setup. One morning, they were hosting the nems. Just takes time;

get a plastic colander appropriately sized for your tank and nem/fish, and stick the nem and clowns into it and into your tank. :)

Tony

Just let them be. I have 2 dumbass clowns that used to host my return nozzles, WP40, thermometer, and everything else but the 8 nems I had in my old setup. One morning, they were hosting the nems. Just takes time;
Ok will give it another month or so.....but at night time, the nem closes up. He backs himself into a cave type rock and then closes up.

I also like the floating breeder tank idea.....but isn't that going to be a bit small in a 24ga nano tank?

All the corals close up at night time as well.

I really don't want to move the nem....because he has stayed in the exact same spot I put him in since I brought him home.

These clowns are idiots....they have the entire tank to themselves (got a lawnmower blenny but he almost never comes out) and they're hosting the stupid thermometer.

Ok will give it another month or so.....but at night time, the nem closes up. He backs himself into a cave type rock and then closes up.

I also like the floating breeder tank idea.....but isn't that going to be a bit small in a 24ga nano tank?

All the corals close up at night time as well.

I really don't want to move the nem....because he has stayed in the exact same spot I put him in since I brought him home.

These clowns are idiots....they have the entire tank to themselves (got a lawnmower blenny but he almost never comes out) and they're hosting the stupid thermometer.
don't move the nem; even if you do, it'll move to wherever it wants to go. Give it time; if you really want them to start hosting, then follow others advice. I only advise to wait cause that's what I did

That's a great idea with the colander! I'd say do that....I was at ReefLounge last weekend and saw a mesh colander with a couple anemones and about 20 clowns and they were ALL hosting them. It looked amazing.

Good luck!

Tony

So the **** nem moved since I made this post this morning. It's retracted FULLY into the cave in the rock it was hanging out in.

Closed up like the day I brought it home.

is this normal for a bubble tip nem? The lights are still on.....the only thing that could have molested it was a crab or something.

And I caught a red hermit crab on top of one of my Duncans.....not sure what he was doing but I put him off.

Tony

They're sold out.

The nem is now closed up completely.....not sure why.

Perhaps my lawnmower blenny molested it?

What do you guys think would happen....if I took the empty 3gal pico tank I got lying around.....and pour 2-1/2 gallons of water from my tank, a small bag of "live sand" and a couple of live rock? Then put the clowns and the nem in there?

Would a cycle occur? I'm thinking "no" because it's my water from the established tank, established live rock and a little bit of live stand (brand new from the store)

So the **** nem moved since I made this post this morning. It's retracted FULLY into the cave in the rock it was hanging out in.

Closed up like the day I brought it home.

is this normal for a bubble tip nem? The lights are still on.....the only thing that could have molested it was a crab or something.

And I caught a red hermit crab on top of one of my Duncans.....not sure what he was doing but I put him off.
Nems are finicky. Theyll move a lot or not at all. I have one nem thats camped out under a shelf. No idea why but it likes it there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk