Dead Coral coming back?

So couple month ago, when I redid my tank. I got a red planet from chance, and had it under Radion pro (9 inch above), like 5 inch below water line. It was good, then went all crazy on me, and started to lose skins. I tried to rescue it, and put it in my frag tank, but it's too late. so basicly I thought I lost it, and only few tip have skin left. I tried to cut them off, but all did not make it. So with it's skeleton all green and crap, I notice something interesting yesterday. Couple of it's tip have glowing green o_O and red skin. Since my frag tank is doing really really bad, I put it back into DT........................

So basically my question is, can a coral come back alive? or was it not even dead to start with? It just lost the tip of it's skin when it first started, and did not turn white or anything else.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Well, something was left alive inside that skeleton that has come back to life. No one knows exactly how few cells, polyps, portion of an acro are necessary to restart a colony. But, obviously there was enough viable cells on your skeleton to survive and grow out. Pretty darn cool.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I've seen some corals that look dead come back to life. I don't throw them away as fast as I used to. Schnitzelreef has one right now that he thinks is alive but that thing is whiter than a crayon.

Latest posts