? for you Xenia/Zenia experts

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
I know that xenia is good source of filtration and decided to put some stalks of it in my sump. My question is, does it need a real light (i.e fuge lighting) to grow and thrive as I don't have a fuge down there. Or can it survive with just the occasional sump lighting led when doing maintenance?

I actually thought of doing this but then I had a vision of my whole tank being taken over. LOL to answer your question yes xenia needs light. Actually it said medium to high light. Just thrown a cheap led down there.

Nemesis

I ended up with some Xenia in my fuge by accident. For a while I had lights over the fuge that weren't very strong and the Xenia were barely alive. I upgraded the lights and they did much better so I believe that they are definitely photosynthetic and will die with minimal light like you are suggesting.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
ok, great info fellas, thanks. i guess now i have to decide either buy a fuge light or get rid of the xenia.

From what ive heard they can help.... buttttt it requires alot of it yo be effective. ... also it turns into a weed

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
you will need a lot to do anything dont bother but they are pretty cool open close open close just like your mouth

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
yeah, the xenia is gone. decided instead of getting a fuge light, just let it go to my girl's tank where it will eventually meet its demise. oops, don't tell her i said that. lol

that's funny, after reading this thread, i was thinking about cutting off a piece of pulsing xenia stock from the DT and sticking it into the sump and let it go.. :D

i think i'll still do it, just to see how it does.