Apex Breakout Box...Oh the possibilites...

I just got a breakout box (BOB) for the apex and I'm brainstorming what I can do with it. Here's a list of cool things you can do with it that I'm considering for mine. This thing can be used for all sorts of useful and neat actions...you don't just have to use it for float switches...

Here's my list...add to it!
1- Magnetic switch or motion sensor on my stand doors to turn on lights when I open the doors
2- float switch in the skimmer cup to shutoff the skimmer before it overflows
3- float switch in the sump so that if the return pump is off it'll turn off my heater and skimmer
4- float switch in the ATO reservoir so that if it's low I get a text telling me to fill it
5- a manual switch to turn off everything I want off so that I can do maintenance/PWC
6- replace my ATO solution

What else?

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
How many ports does the BOB come with?? Are you limited to one option!? Am I going to need 5 BOB!? I hope so haha

You can use it to turn on disco lights in your tank and all your fish will start dancing to the Little Mermaid's a Under the Sea song.

You can have multiple switches with added PM1 modules. But I think it 7 switches per BOB unit.

You can use it to turn on disco lights in your tank and all your fish will start dancing to the Little Mermaid's a Under the Sea song.
Now under consideration...lol

You can have multiple switches with added PM1 modules. But I think it 7 switches per BOB unit.
I think it has room for 6 switches. I believe the 7th is for the ground wires.

FOR DIY LED FIXTURES:

You can put a inexpensive temperature switch on your heat sink. So if your cooling fans take a dump your LEDS won't fry.

If tempswitch_1 is OPEN then Lights off

OR

If tempswitch_1 is OPEN then Ramp down to 30%

OR

sounds alarm/sends email.

smoke detector is it possible????
I'd imagine it's possible with some funky wiring. But then what? What would you control based on smoke? I guess maybe turning off fans and the skimmer so the carcinogens don't get into the water as quickly. And obviously a notification to your phone. What were you thinking?

ericta000

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I'd imagine it's possible with some funky wiring. But then what? What would you control based on smoke? I guess maybe turning off fans and the skimmer so the carcinogens don't get into the water as quickly. And obviously a notification to your phone. What were you thinking?
A couple years ago my sump light felt into the water and for some reason it started to smoke. My wife was home at the time and call me telling me your tank is smoking. I told her to unplug everything and I'll check it later when i get home. Luckley nothing happen only the light in the sump. I like it to notification and i can check on my vuezone cam. Also turn off whatever neede to or 911 if fire or something like i guess. Just trying to be safe i guess. What you think?????

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Turn on a pump so that you can spray water from you ato reservoir because where there's smoke, there's fire

A couple years ago my sump light felt into the water and for some reason it started to smoke. My wife was home at the time and call me telling me your tank is smoking. I told her to unplug everything and I'll check it later when i get home. Luckley nothing happen only the light in the sump. I like it to notification and i can check on my vuezone cam. Also turn off whatever neede to or 911 if fire or something like i guess. Just trying to be safe i guess. What you think?????
Sounds like a good idea...especially since it's actually happened. I just thought you wanted another smoke alarm, lol.

Turn on a pump so that you can spray water from you ato reservoir because where there's smoke, there's fire
That would be baller. Your own DIY fire department.