What's this red stuff and why is it getting dangerously close to my Zoas?

Tony

zoa.jpg

As the title states.....and the entire area that the "red slime" stuff is occupying....USED to be occupied by some real tough green hair algae.

I then got a lawnmower blenny.

Is the slime going to attempt to consume my Zoa? Is this bad slime? Good slime? Otherwise?

thank you

Tony

I had to don some gloves to take a zoa that the stupid blenny knocked off a rock.....and I just pulled out a **** ton of the slime with my hands.

That and the hair algae.

I had to don some gloves to take a zoa that the stupid blenny knocked off a rock.....and I just pulled out a **** ton of the slime with my hands.

That and the hair algae.
You know you can handle zoas without gloves... Just don't squeeze the zoa and rub the juice in your eye! Also wash yours hands after :)

Yeah siphon it out and increase your water changes or reduce your feedings. Increasing the flow may also help to prevent the detritus from settling.

If you use the chemiclean or similar product make sure to follow the directions exactly. Run an air stone and powerheads as well as it will drop the 02 in the water which presents obvious problems for the fish.

Tony

I just put on some gloves and pulled out as much as I could by hand. The red stuff is inter-twined with the green hair algae.

I never realized how much work a 24ga nano is.....and how expensive.

Tony

So I was at my local fish store....it's the one off of Fairview and.....Warner? in Orange County Ca.

They are some cool people there and they got a $10 back everytime you spend $100.

Anyways so I stopped by and in passing conversation I complained about the red slime. The 16 year old kid convinced me to use the Chemiclean.

So I bought it.

Went home, made a batch and dumped it in my tank.

It's actually dissolving the red crap in real time.....I mean.....wow! It really works!

Tony

so apparently you need to use an airstone when using chemi-clean.

I did not.

I added it at 6pm on Sunday.

Did I screw up or should I do an immediate water change Monday morning?

Tony

I should also mention that I'm using it on a JBJ 24ga nano tank....and prior to dosing I turned the power head way up, toward the top of the tank (surface disturbance) so it's really creating some oxygen bubbles in the tank.

so apparently you need to use an airstone when using chemi-clean.

I did not.

I added it at 6pm on Sunday.

Did I screw up or should I do an immediate water change Monday morning?
Doe anything look stressed ? If not, no need to do anything drastic and follow the meds instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

I'm good. Everything pulled through and we successfully completed the final solution for the red slime in my tank.

Green hair algae still there....but whatever.

el mayo

You got lucky man. I used chemiclean and took the airstone out half way through the time frame and killed my fish.

View attachment 30906

As the title states.....and the entire area that the "red slime" stuff is occupying....USED to be occupied by some real tough green hair algae.

I then got a lawnmower blenny.

Is the slime going to attempt to consume my Zoa? Is this bad slime? Good slime? Otherwise?

thank you
I know the red stuff is a pest but I personally like the colors.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
we call that cyano algae suck it out while you are doing a water change. do not blow it off cause it will spread like wildfire. find out the source of high phosphate.

Latest posts