Why is my red planet purple or dark..........?

Saulsa

Looks like you have a young tank based on the color of your rock. How long have you had the frag? How was it originally? In my work tank it's taken about 5 months and my red planet finally came back from that exact color to showing the green base with pink tips.

Ive never seen one this color they are usually white and red, unless its doing great and right lighting it has a green base with red tips...

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
Mine has morphed quite a bit over time depending on flow and position in the tank. Sometimes all red, sometimes lots of green, right now in between. If you just moved it into your system, might have browned and should bounce when it gets used to your params.

Tank is about 3 month old, I got it from chance, since my last one die mostly............ It's not that high in the tank, maybe 3-4 inch above sand. I thought it was brown, but looks pretty purple. When I first got it, it was green as hell.

i'm far from an experienced hand when it comes to reefing, but the frag (fresh cutting) I got from Crystal almost immediately colored up (more green, more reds) over a 1-2 week period, and has completely encrusted over the gel glue and onto the live rock - it's been exactly 5 weeks since i snagged the frag. the sweepers are out at all hours of the day.

it's the highest placed frag in my tank (~5" below the water, and LED is about 8" above the water).

i know there's been a lot of hype over the Acropower stuff, but i'm pretty sure that the polyp extension wasn't as long before i started putting that in the tank (started 1 week ago)

oh, and my friend ashley feeds the tank a $hit-ton of food every day because she's crazy .. >_> Crystal told her that she can spot feed everything with a mouth, so she's been squirting pellets into the mouth of every zoa, poly, and sps every day.

it feeds the SPS, GFO, biopellets, and the algae.. -_-

my tank is far from a "clean" tank typical to an SPS tank, but the red planet, SSC, and pretty much all the sps i've got in the tank seem to be doing great and really good polyp extensions.

pgr11

Supporter
oh, and my friend ashley feeds the tank a $hit-ton of food every day because she's crazy .. >_> Crystal told her that she can spot feed everything with a mouth, so she's been squirting pellets into the mouth of every zoa, poly, and sps every day.

it feeds the SPS, GFO, biopellets, and the algae.. -_-

my tank is far from a "clean" tank typical to an SPS tank, but the red planet, SSC, and pretty much all the sps i've got in the tank seem to be doing great and really good polyp extensions.
Crazy hahahahaaha

Like someone else said it looks like your tank is still young. Also Ive seen it get this color before when its placed under poor LED lighting. What type of lighting do you have? Also what are the tanks water params?

Like someone else said it looks like your tank is still young. Also Ive seen it get this color before when its placed under poor LED lighting. What type of lighting do you have? Also what are the tanks water params?
Starting to get some Greens now, I have under new Radio 3G Pro 45%.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I have my red planet up high, just inches from the surface and right underneath a 250 watt radium 20k metal halide. Virtually no green because of the intense light. These things really like to encrust and colonies can become really large. They are also really aggressive when meeting up with another sps colony and usually win the stinging war.

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
I have my red planet up high, just inches from the surface and right underneath a 250 watt radium 20k metal halide. Virtually no green because of the intense light. These things really like to encrust and colonies can become really large. They are also really aggressive when meeting up with another sps colony and usually win the stinging war.
Beautiful colony!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Soooo............. Here it is:

a lot of the times it may be caused by you are dosing and not testing or over dosed on trace and minor elements or a quick / large change in water parameters some time the corals get dark in color test your system and make sure you are being consistent with your service and that your alk is stable

DeadCalm

It looks like either a nutrient issue or a light intensity issue....or both. This coral loves light and under 250 watt halides this coral will turn all red as other have stated. I like the green undertone so mine is 6 inches from the bottom and it has a nice green on the underside and red on the top. I've seen Racinjasons tank with a Red Planet where he runs his LEDs at 100% and it looks out of this world.

Disclaimer: I am in no way telling you to turn up your led light since I know nothing about them.

Latest posts