Buying frags

Would buying frags from a tank with bubble algae be a bad idea? Is it likely to spread to the frags easily? Is it only if visible? What would you do?

Depend, really. Best suggestion would be inspecting frags, I know vendors like WWC, CC, and even lfs have bubble on theirs. You just need to clean it off, before putting in your tank. Like put it in a Boiling water for 10 minutes, then you can put in your tank =D.

I wouldn't knowingly buy a coral or frag that has bubble algae on it. In my opinion, it's a sign of lacking water quality, maintenance and poor form to give someone something with nuissance algae on it. True, it's not the end of the world but it can and will spread if given the chance. If you already have something that you just got with bubble algae on it I'd take a little cup of your tank water, take the coral and with a razor blade carefully scrape all the bubbles off then rinse the coral well in the cup of tank water before placing it back in the tank. Discard that cup of rinse water.

Latest posts