400W MH Light: Distance To Water???

skrtcsr

Hello Everyone,

I'm a neewbie to the forum, and am setting up a new reef system. It is a 42W x 32D x 22H Rimless system.

Equipment:
  • Coral Vue Lumen Bright Large Pendant
  • Radium 20K 400W Bulb
  • Lumatec Digital 400W Ballast

My question is: How far should the bulb be from the waters surface? I have read on RC it should be 22" from the surface but it seems a bit far. Can anyone shed some light :)hahaha:no pun intended) for me.

I am intending to keep mostly SPS's in this system with a few softies and possibly some frog spawn.

Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on the forum.

SKRTCSR

PS. I'll post some picts as the system comes together, the glass is still a few weeks out.

Aquafrags

I just got three of the large pendants. they need to be a little higher to get a better light spread. the light intensity coming from the lumenbright is pretty concentrated

skrtcsr

Thanks

I appreciate the assistance. I will set it at 20" which will give me 4" either way to play with.

Obviously I am trying to have as little shadow as possible with at SLS.

Thanks again!

simon007

I have set mine at 20" too but I raise and lower it every 4 months to get the summer and winter effect :)

Simon

skrtcsr

How much do you lower it for the effect?

Simon,

How much do you typically raise and lower it when you make the adjustment.

Great info!

DESE

20" dam ive been at 4" for about a year with no problems... The corals that are farther down dont get much color as far as SPS goes, I have left pieces on mid to floor level and the color doesnt compare to those at the top!