New coral (dendrophyllia) care and selling corals?

Tony

I just picked up a dendrophyllia today. Then I had a bright idea: Instead of putting it in my display tank....how about I put it in the 3 gallon pico tank that I got. This is going to be a "coral only" tank.

So I took some water (~2gallons) from my display tank, 2 piece of live rock and some live sand and put it into the 3gal pico, with some biospira.

I'm monitoring the parameters 2x per day to make sure there's no ammonia spike/etc.

So 2 questions.....

1. Look at the tank set up....the filter is a "hang on" filter and the water flow is not that powerful. Apparently these corals are non photosynthetic.....so the 16 watt LED lamp I got hanging overhead isn't going to help much? Will it hurt the coral?

Will the 16watt LED lamp help the "blond hair blue eyed *****" zoa that I got there? It's hard to see but I moved it from my display tank to the pico due to an anemone trying to get too friendly with it.

I also have a mushroom to the right. The camera colors are all off in the picture.

2. The kid at the fish store sounded all enthusiastic (duh, he's trying to make a sale) but as I was asking him questions, he seemed to think it would be easy to grow these kinds of "expensive" corals and then turn around and sell them online/etc.

Is this possible?

I'm not looking to make a living out of this, as I own my own business and I deal with SEO, not corals.

But that got me thinking....if I could make an extra few thousand bucks every year.....this would pay for my saltwater tank addiction. This way I won't get guilt trips everytime I walk into the coral store with the intention of only getting 5 gallons of saltwater for my weekly change.....and instead walking out with $100 worth of corals.

Or would it be easier/better to breed clams? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking to open a store ("retail" is a scary word to me...)

thanks

I seriously doubt youll make thousands off a pico tank. Im certain breeding clams is no easy task, youll have to invest in a lot of equipment, time and effort. Im pretty sure almost everyone at some point, myself included, wants to make a ton of money selling corals, but realistically that wont happen. Just enjoy the hobby for what it is, if your corals get to big, frag it and sell it or trade to help with cost of up keep, but not to profit out of it unless you plan on getting into the fish business. My .02..

Tony

Yeah alcohol isn't my drug of choice. I honestly can't stand the ****. So instead of a saloon, I will open up an opium den (smoking only). Much better to get high than drunk.

And I could probably run whores like there's no tomorrow.....but who wants to be around a bunch of women on their period? So I'd probably hire a Madam to run my whores and I will concentrate on bringing in the clients to smoke my dope and buy my pu$$y.

Tony

But seriously.....is a 16watt light too much for the dencrophyllia? Or any care tips?

A few thousand bucks to me is chump change and about what I spent on my tank last year.

I think Peter's response to you making a fortune is perfect, but to answer your care requirement question, dendros in a set up like yours may not be the best idea. In a Pico set up, the uneaten food goes a long way and you'd have to perform way more water changes than if you weren't feeding the system. The light won't affect your dendros they may not open as long as they would in lower intensity light but they'll be alright.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tony

Thanks....yeah I'm going to move the dendro to an overhang so he's partially in the shade.

I fed him/her/it today.....it was kinda cool. Put some frozen mysis in a turkey baster and squirted him 2 of them. He closed up and ate it.

Yeah they're pretty cool :) I have a 4 head frag of the yellow and orange a 2 head frag of the orange with clear tentacles and a black sun coral. They're all so cool and unique looking

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Latest posts