Thinking about moving towards reef but have a few questions

GoBigGuy

Hello All,

I have a 90 gallon Seaclear System 2 tank, (has built in filter in the back), which is currently setup as a FOWLR. Last week I had to pull all my fish out and put them in a QT tank due to an ich outbreak and figured while I have everyone out I might take this time do to some changes. Only thing that is in the tank now is a couple of shrimp, some snails and hermit crabs.

Currently I have half LR and half base rock, going to be adding some more LR in the next few weeks. Also have crushed coral as my substrate but will be taking that out and replacing with live sand. The lighting I have for the tank is Marineland Single Bright LED Lighting System.

Now the last time I went to my LFS she gave me the below, (see pic), for free to "introduce me to reef tanks" but I have no clue what is it but I do kind of like it and now think maybe I might want to get rid of my fake coral and move to more of the live stuff but need more info on how much more work it will be and what I would have to do to upgrade to support it. Don't want to get into anything crazy expensive that is easy to care for.

Here are the fish I have right now, again in the QT tank:
Ocellaris Clown (2)
Firefish (2)
Purple Firefish (2)
Very Small Blue Tang

And these are the rest of the fish I plan on adding in time:
Yellow Tang
Royal Gramma Basslet
Flame Angelfish
Emperor Angelfish

DSC03385.jpg

Hello All,

I have a 90 gallon Seaclear System 2 tank, (has built in filter in the back), which is currently setup as a FOWLR. Last week I had to pull all my fish out and put them in a QT tank due to an ich outbreak and figured while I have everyone out I might take this time do to some changes. Only thing that is in the tank now is a couple of shrimp, some snails and hermit crabs.

Currently I have half LR and half base rock, going to be adding some more LR in the next few weeks. Also have crushed coral as my substrate but will be taking that out and replacing with live sand. The lighting I have for the tank is Marineland Single Bright LED Lighting System.

Now the last time I went to my LFS she gave me the below, (see pic), for free to "introduce me to reef tanks" but I have no clue what is it but I do kind of like it and now think maybe I might want to get rid of my fake coral and move to more of the live stuff but need more info on how much more work it will be and what I would have to do to upgrade to support it. Don't want to get into anything crazy expensive that is easy to care for.

Here are the fish I have right now, again in the QT tank:
Ocellaris Clown (2)
Firefish (2)
Purple Firefish (2)
Very Small Blue Tang

And these are the rest of the fish I plan on adding in time:
Yellow Tang
Royal Gramma Basslet
Flame Angelfish
Emperor Angelfish

View attachment 31305
sorry to say butyour tank is not big enough for emperor

GoBigGuy

Plan was to get a juvi and in a couple of years upgrade

can you tell me what the LFS gave me from the pic I posted and if my setup can support other reef items?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Plan was to get a juvi and in a couple of years upgrade

can you tell me what the LFS gave me from the pic I posted and if my setup can support other reef items?
That's a kenya tree which is a very easy coral. Sadly you will need to do many upgrades which will take a lot if time and $$$. I would sell that tank and get one with a overflow and sump. Just do some reading and check out how much it will cost. I like expensive corals like $100 for a tiny frag lol but people might think that's expensive. It all depends on you. You can add mushrooms or Xenia. Those are hard to kill.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

A good starter is a all in one tank some used LEDs and some cheap mushrooms Xenia and then you'll be hooked on reefing