My tank is gona need AA classes

Josh

ok so i put a cap full of vodka in my tank yesterday, and BAM!!!!! I got green everywhere! woot i love it, i did have to scrape the glass with a magnet today but other than that i bet my pods are loving it. i had a bunch of fresh pieces of life rock and they all have fresh new green coat on them and it looks great.

i like to experiment with stuff on my own, i have heard some benifical stuff happens when you add a carbon source to a tank but i like to see for myself what happens. im going to have to read up on exactly what is going on in my tank but so far i like the increaced life it has brought to my tank. my water did get slightly cloudy, but if that all clears up tomorrow it will be fine. i think i read that it was a bacteria bloom. not so bad cus i got my skimmer going.

what do you guys think?

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Whats the benefits of dosing vodka? Why do you want a green tank? Im a newbie on the subject. Thanks:D

Josh

well so far i just like life, as in pods.

i have a really light bioload, and i want to get some type of food source for them. from what ive read pods eat detritus and algae off the rocks. well i started using marine snow which is said to be plankton like food. and i guess that's good, dont have any proof of it yet.

and i was thinking of maybe using DT's phytoplakton, basicly you put phytoplankton in your tank, to promote zooplankton to grow which feeds pods.

maybe all the carbon source is doing is providing food source which is usually not present because of the extreamly light bioload. well when you mix that with a strong light you get photosynthisis and growth, hopefully good growth stuff that my pods like to eat.

but like i said before im new at all this, ive read a few threads but this stuff is so much more fun when you try it out for yourself. so im just really excited to see some sort of a change in my tank that i produced hehe. i love this hobby.

who know's if its good or bad yet but it's fun, my coral all looks great im getting more growth and color out of them every day so i must be doing something right.

Josh

i have some pics that arnt to old, i try to dig them up tonight. tank was nice an clear this morning, still got the nice deaper color green on my rocks.

I have been dosing sugar and it doesn't seem to be working as everyone says. I started last week dosing 4 large teaspoons, then when it cleared up I dosed 5 and then last night I dosed 7.

It makes my tank very cloudy then the next day my skimmer goes crazy and my nitrates have only come down a tad.

That cloudiness is a bacterial bloom. Those bacteria will be consuming O. It could get to a point there will not be enough left over for your fish.
When that happens most of them start floating or sinking and can save you a lot of fish food.

SteveU

seriously!!!

It is one thing to read and think you understand and then if you want to try it out, I guess that is okay too, but since reading leaves a lot to interpretation, I would confirm my understandings prior to experimenting on live things, and especially expensive live things...

My understanding for dosing sugar and or alcohol, (vodka), is to reduce nitrates.

I dont know how, or why, but it is a chemical interaction, erego the cloudiness..

I would still not use home remedy for fear of using too much or basically not using enough and discounting it...

But, good luck to the two of you guys, please keep us updated on teh progress

bill

Josh

i added about a shot glass, maybe less. got a little cloudy, but no change with any of my coral. after doing more reading on it, just seems like a nitrate fix. i dont have to many fish so the reduces oxygen wasnt a concern for me.

probably wont do it again, or at least untill i have nitrate problems, right now im testing at 0. it was a fun little experiment and since i dont have to many corals i would rather test these odd ball methods now, and seen the outcome before i have thousands of dollars of livestock.

Latest posts