Overflow and skimmer questions..???

Is there such a thing as an over sized over flow and skimmer ..?? Reason I ask this is because I was going to go with a 110 gallon tank , but decided Togo with a 40 gallon instead . I had bought an over flow and skimmer for the 110 gallon and wanted to know if I could still use them on my 40 gallon
I have a NAC 7 skimmer and a ESHOPPS 1200 double over flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
Also the u tubes should be in the middle from my experience. The sponges are to keep critters from going in overflow. The way you have the u tubes they will go straight in to the sump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Yea, your setup is wrong. The tubes go in the middle within that little chamber. They go in that chamber which stays filled with water because if you cut power to the return pump, it will not break the siphon. The way you have it, you will never get the siphon going.

Yea, your setup is wrong. The tubes go in the middle within that little chamber. They go in that chamber which stays filled with water because if you cut power to the return pump, it will not break the siphon. The way you have it, you will never get the siphon going.
Thanks for the heads up . Also would it be possible then to just use one tube instead of the two ..???

My two cents:

Matching the return pump with the overflow capacity is a good start. However, you may be able to play with a few return pump options that would best suit your 40 gallon display. For example, go with a pump that has at least 800 to 1300gph capabilities.

Larry

My two cents:

Matching the return pump with the overflow capacity is a good start. However, you may be able to play with a few return pump options that would best suit your 40 gallon display. For example, go with a pump that has at least 800 to 1300gph capabilities.

Larry
Thanks Larry thanks for your input

Thanks for the heads up . Also would it be possible then to just use one tube instead of the two ..???

I think you can run one, but two is better just incase one loses siphon you still have the other one, make sure there is no air bubbles in the tube collecting or youll lose siphon eventually. Let me know if you need help setting up, I can stop by and show you.

Do your self a favor and to save headaches later down the line. Get rid of that overflow and get a glass-holes. Com overflow kit. Although what you have will and have worked for a very long time they can be prone to issues that will have you walking into a flooded room.

sent from my s4

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter

You can use one but why use one when you can have two and that will also be one less pump inside your tank as well

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Do your self a favor and to save headaches later down the line. Get rid of that overflow and get a glass-holes. Com overflow kit. Although what you have will and have worked for a very long time they can be prone to issues that will have you walking into a flooded room.

sent from my s4
I have a glass holes overflow on my frag tank and love it. Saves so much space and takes the what if out

I think you can run one, but two is better just incase one loses siphon you still have the other one, make sure there is no air bubbles in the tube collecting or youll lose siphon eventually. Let me know if you need help setting up, I can stop by and show you.
Thanks allot if I run into issues I'll let you know

sent from my s4
Thanks for the idea , but it be really hard to drill holes on it now since it's running already , I have a fluval canister filter , but changing over to sump

Is there such a thing as an over sized over flow and skimmer ..?? Reason I ask this is because I was going to go with a 110 gallon tank , but decided Togo with a 40 gallon instead . I had bought an over flow and skimmer for the 110 gallon and wanted to know if I could still use them on my 40 gallon
I have a NAC 7 skimmer and a ESHOPPS 1200 double over flow.

You should be fine.