Phosphates at 0 now what?

So I had phosphates kind of high can't remember what it was. I added a TLF reactor and now PO4 has been at zero for the last week. So... Now what? Do I stop the reactor for a while, turn it off at night? Have less media in the reactor?

If everything looks good leave it be. My phosphates always test at 0 but I'm sure there's a bit there due to feeding and because all my coral looks good and I'm still getting growth on my chaeto.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I never liked my phosphates at zero. You might want to slow it down with less media.

You removed it at a higher pace than it grew so after zero you are just depleting nutrients that corals need. You could starve you coral slowly that way.

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
There will be residual po4 that will leach from your rock and sand. NSW is at 0.03, so you do want some in your water column.

I never liked my phosphates at zero. You might want to slow it down with less media.

You removed it at a higher pace than it grew so after zero you are just depleting nutrients that corals need. You could starve you coral slowly that way.
+1, either remove some media so your water has some phosphates or feed heavily until it balances out. If your phosphates are at 0 you're starving your coral.

BeanMachine

Supporter
My question is how are you checking your phosphates? I would leave the reactor alone without knowing anything about your system. How much are you feeding your tank, how many fish, and how often?

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
I run phos at .08 and all my sps are colored up nicely or coming back from starving after running it at 0. I would recommend taking out some gfo and trying to stabilize between .04 and .08. I ran 0 with a lack of color and after talking with Robert at chance of coral and getting the suggestion to run it at .04-.08 I am much happier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

cool thank everyone!! So here is my plan:
1) keep my feeding schedule the same.
2) keep my reactor off till I get some constant PO4 readings between: (.09-.05) bout 3 days of readings in this range would be good I think.
3) turn on the reactor but only put 1/4 cup of phosban (not my usual 1/2 cup)

One more think my skimmer was not producing as much "skimate" as before, is this the reason why?

Latest posts